England's calling

Master Bates

cheers

Jan Poortvliet made three changes from the side that finished so triumphantly at Deepdale, recalling Adam Lallana and Paul Wotton and opting for Jake Thomson in Simon Gillett's absence.

Academy scholar Oscar Gobern got his first Saints start after adding to last Saturday's performance with another impressive display for the Reserves in midweek, whilst Wright-Phillips dropped back to the bench.

"The French midfielder was forced out of the game at Bristol City through an injury picked up in training two days previously."

I still don't understand why it didn't warrant a mention on the OS on the day though.....? One of our best player out injured....I know, we'll keep that quiet....doesn't add up....

I'd have thought the whereabouts of Schneiderlin would have been a more newsworthy OS article....not a dickie bird....

Not when you are trying to flog anything that can vaguely control a ball and run 100m without breaking sweat, it isnt.

It's embarassing. It's like an old past-it tom trying to get enough clients to keep herself supplied with smack.

so no congratulations from anyone....what a bunch of miserable sods we have become!

Well done chaps, well deserved.

+ Drew next time though -he also deserves it.

Is he still eligible for the U21's? He only really played a peripheral part anyway so may well have been one of the ones cut adrift by Pearce. Drew does seem to be playing better in the middle though.

PS Well done to Adam & Jack and by the sounds of it they'll get a game against the Czechs as it's a friendly.

Went to watch this last night as it was only at Bramall Lane.

All a bit like watching Saints really, i.e. a bit rubbish. At least England won thou! Mind due i don't know what i was expecting from an u21 friendly when it only cost a fiver!

Disappointing Lallana only got a run for 5 mins, especially when Jack Cork came on after 70 mins in a sort of attacking midfield role. (though he sunk deeper and deeper back)

Thought he looked a bit nervous in the things he did. Lallana, given 5 minutes, barely got a touch, but he did get a good turn and poor shot in. Difficult for both though coming off the bench with game so dis-jointed.

Pekhart started for the Czech's. Sadly he just looked the definition of a cart horse. Really think we should free up a loan place and save some money and get him back to Spuds asap!

Sorry, not much to report, thought we'd see more of our boys but hey hum!

i only saw last 10 minutes of the game on tv but lallana did show his class in the 5 minutes he was on the pitch. played a lovely ball out to the right wing with the outside of his right foot, ran to the edge of the box where he got the ball back, beat 2 defenders with his turn but then, as sheff saint said, scuffed his shot.

Is he still eligible for the U21's? He only really played a peripheral part anyway so may well have been one of the ones cut adrift by Pearce. Drew does seem to be playing better in the middle though.

PS Well done to Adam & Jack and by the sounds of it they'll get a game against the Czechs as it's a friendly.

i'm not sure i know he is for the next U21 tournament as he was 21 or younger when the qualyfying started