What's the difference between our home and away performances? Are we BETTER at home?

shurlock

As many have pointed out, Jan has stated that the team freezes up at home - the implication being that if we reproduced our away form at home, we would be looking at the top six. Compare the points:

home - 6 points (with doncaster fewest home points in the league)

away - 10 points (with sheff u joint seventh most away points)

our away points are nearly double our home tally. interestingly, if you look at our goal difference, however, it paints a different picture. It is actually worse away (-6) than home (-4) (indeed our away gd is joint twentieth worst in the league).

this suggests our home games have been much tighter and more competitive, though we have so few points. certainly, having had the (mis)fortune of attending all league games this season, i would say the ten away points flatters us (derby apart). should this make us more worried? what other interpretations are there for this difference. glass half-full or empty?

or is that this is just a s**t league that's so tightly, tightly packed, that its better to set up to go out and be positive, even if you happen to get stuffed in the process (for draws are little more use than a loss). further proof that we should be bolder at home?

As many have pointed out, Jan has stated that the team freezes up at home - the implication being that if we reproduced our away form at home, we would be looking at the top six. Compare the points:

home - 6 points (with doncaster fewest home points in the league)

away - 10 points (with sheff u joint seventh most away points)

our away points are nearly double our home tally. interestingly, if you look at our goal difference, however, it paints a different picture. It is actually worse away (-6) than home (-4) (indeed our away gd is joint twentieth worst in the league).

this suggests our home games have been much tighter and more competitive, though we have so few points. certainly, having had the (mis)fortune of attending all league games this season, i would say the ten away points flatters us (derby apart). should this make us more worried? what other interpretations are there for this difference. glass half-full or empty?

or is that this is just a s**t league that's so tightly, tightly packed, that its better to set up to go out and be positive, even if you happen to get stuffed in the process (for draws are little more use than a loss). further proof that we should be bolder at home?

I would suggest our away form is not as good as we would like to believe (although having only seen matches on TV, I will defer to those who travel more regularly).

Three of those points were against one of only two teams who are probably worse than us, played well against Derby (however, they were still in their hangover period) and put in a good 45 mins display against Preston.

Away from home we're not immune from playing poorly and getting thumped (QPR, Coventry & Swansea).

With regards not being effective at home, I think it has more to do with tactics and style of play, than any other outside factor. Our continuous of playing with one up top against teams whose first thought is to defend is clearly not working.

After that, we seem to lack a Plan B (in fact Jan has already said the boys can only play one way!!!).

I would suggest our away form is not as good as we would like to believe (although having only seen matches on TV, I will defer to those who travel more regularly).

Three of those points were against one of only two teams who are probably worse than us, played well against Derby (however, they were still in their hangover period) and put in a good 45 mins display against Preston.

Away from home we're not immune from playing poorly and getting thumped (QPR, Coventry & Swansea).

With regards not being effective at home, I think it has more to do with tactics and style of play, than any other outside factor. Our continuous of playing with one up top against teams whose first thought is to defend is clearly not working.

After that, we seem to lack a Plan B (in fact Jan has already said the boys can only play one way!!!).

Think your right on the luck of who we have played. The only addition to that I think is the games we have played we have put out a different team. Certain players in certain positions make this system to be not bad and proves we can get results or decent performances from it. But when key players are injured jan hasnt chosen the right replacements and we look complete arse.

Bristol was a prime example as Wooton was given the role Morgan plays so well and he hoofed it all over the place which lost us the fast passing rythem we are trying to create. Wooton goes off and Surman takes that role and all of a sudden we can pressure there defence.

As with many previous years it is not our 1st choice squad that are letting us down, its the long list of injurys we seem to suffer and not good enough replacements to cover.

IMO it is purly luck that we have had a stronger team more often on our travels than when at home.

I don't really believe anyone actually thinks our away form is good. Its OK, and we have picked up some decent results away, primarily because our system suits playing teams when they do not pack the midfield but actually go out to win. We have had 3 big defeats at home which explains our poor away goal difference (4-1 twice and 3-0)

But at home we are completely pants. It only really takes 1 goal to beat us (though Watford decided 3 would be better) because we have no idea how to break down teams that come with a packed midfield, and because we play a lone striker.

In summary our away form would be acceptable if our home form was halfway decent.