YouView - The Future Of TV?

Golactico

Considering that it's likely to revolutionise TV in the UK, particularly for those of us not interested in paying for Sky, I'm quite surprised by how few people seem to have heard of YouView.

YouView is a project backed by BBC, ITV, Ch4, BT amonst others, that has been in the pipeline for a few years now and is finally due to launch in the Autumn.

In a nutshell, it's the next generation of Freeview box, difference being that it is linked to your broadband, giving you instant access to catch-up TV services, via a backwards accessible program guide. You can also get other paid for and free TV services via the box, which will cost about £200, with no subscription cost (unless you choose the extra services like LoveFilm, Netflix etc).

This explains it better than I can:

http://www.youview.com/

surely, sooner rather than later, with Smart TV etc, all you will have to do is plug your internet cable in (or turn on your wireless on your telly) and you get the lot, internet, all the Smart TV stuff like netflix etc....sky telly etc etc

days of having a Virgin/Sky box underneath will be gone and you record programs etc onto your sky/virgin cloud..

taking that further, I reckon the next gen Play station will be cloud based...you stream/download your games....and again, save your games on your cloud.

it will allow for the hardware to be cheaper etc etc

The next Playstation won't be cloud based. The average internet speed isn't fast enough. Not to mention Galkai have come out and said they are looking for someone to acquire them straight after the heavily persistent rumours of a Sony/Galkai tie up before E3. That sounds like Sony have walked away from talks.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express