Hire Purchase / Leasing

SO16_Saint

I need to get a new car, due to the company putting in stipulations on the type and age of car we have (we get car allowance).

I am looking into either a HP plan or Leasing a car.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions either way?

Got maybe £250/300 per month all in.

Can you obtain a lease on a car as a private individual/ employee entering into an agreement ?

Isn't this option only open to a business/ fleet operator ?

I need to get a new car, due to the company putting in stipulations on the type and age of car we have (we get car allowance).

That's a shame. Some years ago I worked for the local leccy board and one of the distribution (IIRC) engineers drove an old Lada. Robust car, did the job and he pocketed the mileage allowance.. Nice little bit of money to put aside for an early retirement, if you weren't bothered about s**** or not doing longer trips. Personally I had to use pool cars - not being very corporate or promotion minded - but it was quite fun refusing to take one due to safety considerations..(tyres, spare, lights, mirrors) and then not being able to turn up on time to meetings with senior management and having a cast iron excuse. Never got me a company car, mind! The other safety consideration was that the pool cars were such agricultural Perkins diesels and slow that I never overtook anything: at least not after one brown pants job trying to pass a tractor!

That was the problem Sue. People rocking up at client meetings and sites in rusty brown R reg Rovers with the wing mirror hanging off and exhaust blowing. Doesn't exactly scream professional.

Will be a shame, cos I had a nice-ish car but not new enough so will miss the £300 each month...will have to try and negotiate a pay rise to compensate!

That was the problem Sue. People rocking up at client meetings and sites in rusty brown R reg Rovers with the wing mirror hanging off and exhaust blowing. Doesn't exactly scream professional.

Well, in his job probably not many people around at some hole in the ground out in the sticks at 6 in the morning.. but I don't dispute your point and as you'll see from my comment above, very professional when it came to safety... It's just that when I see a new BMW I scream to myself "Overheads", and "I'M paying for that"...

Oh yes, one occasion when the pool car was unsafe (illegal tyres) they asked if I could take mine. The mileage would have been useful, but unfortunately "it's not insured for business use...". :-)