Telegraph report/BWP

NickG

Southampton manager Jan Poortvliet's pledge to showcase 'total football' finally came to fruition at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday. His young side displayed the merits of their 4-3-3 formation with verve, subjecting a flummoxed Reading team to their first home defeat of the season.

Poortvliet's decision to take a chance on playing maligned forward Bradley Wright-Phillips from the start in an unfamiliar position proved worthwhile. The 23-year-old scored both Southampton's goals, firstly heading in Lloyd James' perfect cross at the far post early in the first half, and then fired in a low shot from the edge of the box early in the second.

"I don't get many goals with my head," he admitted. "I don't know where that first goal has come from. It was a great cross. It's weird for me; I'm not usually at the back post. But I'm in a new position and I'm enjoying it."

It has not been a great year for Wright-Phillips, who was caught up in accusations of theft after an incident at a nightclub in February, but he repaid Poortvliet's faith with an excellent performance.

"They are my first goals since the beginning of the year," he said. "It's a weight off my shoulders. I have had a lot to deal with and I've been in and out [of the side] for bad reasons. I'm just happy to get them and I hope they carry on. It's nice that football is allowing me to make the headlines rather than the bad things. The season starts here for me."

Reading pulled a goal back with just over half an hour left when Kelvin Davis parried Kevin Doyle's shot into the path of Jimmy Kebe, but overall the home side had their goalkeeper to thank that the winning margin was not greater.

"We watched videos of Southampton before the game and they played really well in all of them," Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann admitted. "They played really well [against us], they kept the ball well and pressed us all over the park.

"Maybe this result will give us the kick up the backside we need, and act as a reminder to us of what is at stake."