Which would you choose?

sandwichsaint

I'm no car buff, a mate of mine, younger, has just been offered his first company car.

He gets to choose from a BMW1, Audi A3, new Mercedes A series, Ford Focus; all diesel, all in fairly basic spec.

What's the story?

All look pretty decent to me, which is the pick?

I would try and get to test drive an A3 and a 1 series and see which he prefers. A few years ago I had both as loaners while other cars were being serviced and I prefered the A3 practicality and quality feel to the 1 series which felt a bit cheap, had counter intuitive controls, and was hard to see out of, making for a more stressful drive. If you like a sporty drive BMW rear wheel drive is a plus point. Check the current emissions levels as this impacts on CC Tax. BMW was miles ahead on this, but I think Audi are catching up recently.

I had the new Focus as a hire car a couple of months ago. Very impressed.

I've got a BMW so would tend to go with them rather than Audi or Merc. One of the reasons being that I am not a great fan of FWD, as I absolutely hate torque steer. Having said that, not sure how much you are going to get with smaller engined diesels (and the Focus I had on hire was, I think, a 1.25 petrol). Audi probably better screwed together, but if they are like they used to be, the steering is devoid of any feedback and overly light. OK in town, but not great out and about. Don't know much about the A Class, save for it looks good. BMW diesel probably better than the others, certainly they tend to be punchier.

If its a proper company car (and not a PCP or similar), then just choose it based on whichever will incur the smallest tax bill. The attraction of driving anything particularly Gucci soon wears off when you're doing the miles for business reasons.