Kindle fire Hd

Lord Duckhunter

Thinking of getting one of these, are they any good. Would only use for reading, playing music , internet use and maybe the occasional film when on a plane or train. Not really big into games and apps.

To be honest im totally hopeless with stuff like this, are kindles good value or a bit of a waste of money?

Mrs P has an ordinary Kindle (touchscreen one) which she loves. Have to admit they are very good. I've been using it and the ease with which you can access books has enabled me to read some free classics that otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with.

The Fire HD has more whistles and bells of course, and is in colour. Looks impressive. The downside is that it is far more hungry on the battery. Whereas the ordinary Kindle will last around three weeks before charging, the colour backlit Fire and Fire HD probably only last a day or so.

I use a Nexus 7 tablet and access the same Amazon account. Does everything the Fire HD does and more....but the monochrome e-ink Kindle is still nicer to read, particularly in sunlight.

I use a Nexus 7 tablet and access the same Amazon account. Does everything the Fire HD does and more....but the monochrome e-ink Kindle is still nicer to read, particularly in sunlight.

Mrs Egg has a Nexus 7 too. It's superb. However, I've used the Fire HD and that is also very good. The Fire HD is without question easier to use, the front screen is so simple.

They are both great bits if kit that will suit your needs. I would suggest having a quick play with both to see the differences in action and see which you prefer.

Mrs ecuk268 has a Fire HD.

She's not particularly tech savvy so finds it good for e-mails, web browsing, books and BBC iPlayer.

You can borrow e-books from our library and fairly easily convert them for the Kindle. There's also loads of free e-books on the web, some legal and others not so legal.

My advice would be to go for the Nexus 7.

It's a more capable machine, plus you can get a Kindle app for it. Not sure whether you can buy books in-app, but you can always just open a browser and buy from there.

I don't really use my old Kindle anymore since getting the iPad. Traditional Kindles are great for fiction, but really crap for a lot of reference books you might be interested in. The App running on a decent tablet is a much better bet. I often sit the iPad upright and bung it next to a monitor. Very handy productivity boost.

Yes, you can buy books within the Kindle app.

Another word on the screens though. If you want to read outdoors, by the pool on holiday or on the beach, then the basic kindle beats all the iPads and tablets hands down.

Edited by Pugwash

I took the advise on here and went for the Nexus.

Being a bit of a dinosaur I thought I only had to put a DVD into the desk top and it'll save and be able to transfer. Which is the best free software to rip the DVD's with and then put on the nexus, or am I better off paying for one? I know it's basic but I really am out of touch.

Check out this thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?43978-DVD-ripping

Also suggest you get an 'on the go' or OTG cable from Amazon, for a couple of quid. Then download an app called 'Nexus Media Importer', cost is in dollars, about £1.80 or so. This will enable you to plug in a USB memory stick and play your films, videos, photos or whatever. I'd suggest a 32GB stick for about £15 should be plenty.

Edited by Pugwash