Poch was clearly crap!

saintpat

Thank god we've got Koeman! How could Saints have only finished 8th last season when we had so many exceptional players that the top 4 want to sign. I now see last season as a massive disappointment given our 1st class talent. We clearly should have been top 4.

Spurs have clearly bought themselves a donkey of a coach!

Been saying this for days

If 7 of our starting 11 are off to teams in and around the top 4 why didn't we invest a bit more get the right manager and really push for European football

Because it's not a bit more, it's an absolute fortune more

You would need to basically double the entire current squads wages to compete with the big clubs

Then you need to find 4/5 top quality players at probably 20m plus and pay them a stack of wages

I'm not sure that you could say that Poch was crap - he did after all achieve far more with the squad than Adkins. However, I do feel that Poch had a significant part to play in what has since happened.

If I remember correctly, at the end of last season, Poch was critical of Europa League football and suggested that we don't want to qualify for that as it could/would cost us our 'destiny' of qualification for the Champions League. At about the same time we put in some particularly inept performances - including against Sunderland in both cups (thus eliminating any hope that we could go on to win either tournament thus risking Europa League qualification). Similarly, when Champions League qualification was beyond us but Europa League qualification by virtue of league position still a possibility, our performances were sub-standard. Indeed many have criticised Lovren and Lallana for their poor quality performances at the end of the season.

So... here is my contention:

1. The players (or many of them) were convinced by Poch that they were good enough to qualify for Champions League football.

2. Poch also convinced them that qualifying for the Europa League would hinder progress towards CL qualification in 2015.

3. Poch and the players decided they would do everything they could to avoid qualifying for the Europa League.

4. When Poch left they found themselves not only without CL football, but also without even Europa League football, thus precipitating what we see now.

For those that like conspiracy theories, you may also like to extend this idea to consider the possibility that Poch decided he would leave as soon as Cortese was ousted and that he put in place a plan to both undermine and unsettle as many of the squad as possible by leaving them believing they are world beaters who should be playing CL football.

Thank god we've got Koeman! How could Saints have only finished 8th last season when we had so many exceptional players that the top 4 want to sign. I now see last season as a massive disappointment given our 1st class talent. We clearly should have been top 4.

good point.

I agree with this

Because it's not a bit more, it's an absolute fortune more

You would need to basically double the entire current squads wages to compete with the big clubs

Then you need to find 4/5 top quality players at probably 20m plus and pay them a stack of wages

I think we could have had a real go with around 50 million spent on 3-4 players to eliminate the likes Gazza, Jos, Davis (sadly), Yoshida. With the players we just lost, many improving all the time, we would have had as good a chance as Everton or Spurs next season with a bit more depth. We were not 100M away.

In all honesty if we hadn't had any injuries I don't think we'd have been far off