Let's just entertain the thought that ...

CanadaSaint

... the events of the past few weeks are not indicative of a Board that has lost control, but a Board that knows exactly what it's doing. I know that's a stretch (I'm not even sure I believe it) but hear me out.

We have often said of the "Big Six" that they have more money than sense, but perhaps our plan is to succeed with more sense than money.

There's no point in keeping disgruntled players, so the issue of whether we're a "selling club" is not really relevant and perhaps not even that important to a club like ours.

What IS important in that situation is that A) we get "top dollar" for disgruntled players, B) we scout well and find quality replacements at value prices, and C) we have the incoming transfers lined-up before we let the outgoing players leave, so that we lessen the chances of being asked to pay inflated prices because we're perceived to be desperate and rolling in cash.

IMO that's a realistic and credible business model for a club like Saints. Scout well, buy low, sell high (if you have to sell). And always keep the academy conveyor belt rolling and a top-notch scouting team.

In fact, I'd say that's the only way we can function in today's world. The problem is that it's hard to sell that kind of rational concept to fans whose connection is not rational but emotional. Hence the recent silence from the Board.

Although Pelle and Tadic look like excellent acquisitions, the only part we blew was a big one - failing to secure replacements before selling the core players, so we'll end up struggling to attract quality and we'll have to pay "over the odds" for it.

It's what I want to beleive I really do, but after recent events most notably the sale of Chambers which I could not for the life of me understand, I would want to see 3 or 4 good acquisitions in and nobody else out before I sign up for your provocation ( as good and commendable as it is by the way).

... the events of the past few weeks are not indicative of a Board that has lost control, but a Board that knows exactly what it's doing. I know that's a stretch (I'm not even sure I believe it) but hear me out.

We have often said of the "Big Six" that they have more money than sense, but perhaps our plan is to succeed with more sense than money.

There's no point in keeping disgruntled players, so the issue of whether we're a "selling club" is not really relevant and perhaps not even that important to a club like ours.

What IS important in that situation is that A) we get "top dollar" for disgruntled players, B) we scout well and find quality replacements at value prices, and C) we have the incoming transfers lined-up before we let the outgoing players leave, so that we lessen the chances of being asked to pay inflated prices because we're perceived to be desperate and rolling in cash.

IMO that's a realistic and credible business model for a club like Saints. Scout well, buy low, sell high (if you have to sell). And always keep the academy conveyor belt rolling and a top-notch scouting team.

In fact, I'd say that's the only way we can function in today's world. The problem is that it's hard to sell that kind of rational concept to fans whose connection is not rational but emotional. Hence the recent silence from the Board.

Although Pelle and Tadic look like excellent acquisitions, the only part we blew was a big one - failing to secure replacements before selling the core players, so we'll end up struggling to attract quality and we'll have to pay "over the odds" for it.

This