Ralph is loving 'the product'

Noodles34

Or perhaps in real life -rather than your make believe world of computer games- gate/matchday and commercial income for provincial-sized clubs operating more or less at capacity don't really move the dial, compared to developing, finding and selling players for a profit, finishing higher in the league and being broadcast more often on TV.

Obviously, but more commercial money will be available for a team that consistently progresses into Europe and/or appears on TV a lot. Keep in mind that outside of England, the Saturday 3pm time slot is a TV game and, for publicity purposes, it matters who gets selected for broadcasting.

Also, it is not clear to me what should be viewed as moving the dial. If, for example, we want to retain Schneiderlin and Clyne by paying them 100K per week each that would be an increase of about 139K per week or just over 7.2 million a year. Increasing our commercial revenue by that amount is not beyond the realm of possibility--especially if non-English sponsors could be found.

Edited by Redslo

Yes you're right she should have got shot of him sooner, but she got there in the end. Glad you're seeing sense at last.

Given our upward trajectory over the last five years or so, is it just possible that Cortese did a good job and the current Board are building on that to do an even better one? Just a thought...

Mmm...interesting question, though.

My interpretation was that " the product "....is the name / image / structure of SFC, and not just a team of footballers.

Ralph cites different areas of the club; finance, marketing as well as the footballing activities. All of the " big name clubs " are worldwide brands, and have fans and sell " products " on every continent.

Sport shops in Stockholm not only sell club shirts for the Swedish sides, but for Arsenal, Man U, Citeh and Liverpool,....as well as Barcelona and Real Madrid, too.

In short, " the product " is the club in its entirety and not just the 24 man squad playing 38 games a season.

I've met Swedish fans, who are very surprised and pleased to see a new name in the top end of the Prem. and Ronald Koeman is legend in some Euro countries (perhaps more so than in England.) (English football has been top viewing here since Match of the Day progs. in the 1970's)

David that's how I see it........everyone loves the Green Bay Packers (pop 100,000) and such great revenue .......

Sorry I that upsets the myopic on here :)

Given our upward trajectory over the last five years or so, is it just possible that Cortese did a good job and the current Board are building on that to do an even better one? Just a thought...

That seems too suspiciously reasonable to be true.

my thoughts too. NC wouldn't be on my Christmas card list either, but few can deny that after the takeover / bankruptcy.... it was a lot more than the team was made successful.

His methodology was questioned, disliked and criticised by many.....(what was that phrase about..... means to an end).

We might have struggled in L1, but instead had two promotions and got back to the Prem. I'm not sorry he left, but his legacy has been retained, streamlined by others and made " more human ".

NOW...It feels a bit more like the club that I've supported for 55 years, ...except that the team is far more successful than ever before ...and we have money in the bank. :)