• Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Romeu
    • Austin
    • Ward-Prowse

Because PL football is much less a sport and more of a spectacle these days. Every bit of drama and controversy creates headlines and helps to sell its popularity to the masses.

Exactly. People who want a fairer sport with more integrity aren't going to get it with football but don't understand why not. Lots of very fair sports are largely boring and definitely don't attract as much money invested into them. There is a direct correlation.

Exactly. People who want a fairer sport with more integrity aren't going to get it with football but don't understand why not. Lots of very fair sports are largely boring and definitely don't attract as much money invested into them. There is a direct correlation.

But it can't in any way be satisfactory or acceptable for it to be a spectacle.

The prizes and rewards are huge and should be competed for on a level playing field, rather than one where there is bias towards the big teams because it is perceived that these will generate more income for Sky, BT, the press et al.

The integrity of the game is seriously under threat if the rules cannot be enforced consistently for fear of spoiling the spectacle.

One of the things I hear that annoys me most is criticism of a referee for "spoiling" a game by (correctly) sending a player off. Or robbing the spectators of the experience of watching a star player.

It seems to me that there is bias against sending off certain players - the Rooneys, Ronaldos etc - because it is p perceived that the public have come to see them and it has a major effect on the outcome if the game.

So referees don't dare enforce the laws strictly or penalise star players for fear of ending up with a seven a side game or suffering the baying criticism of the media with their adulation of the "elite" teams.

But unless this is addressed we will continue on a very slippery slope with the game losing credibility as a fair sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

OK - so let me understand you then. Referees are making wrong decisions to make the game a spectacle! That's the only conclusion that I can draw from your pronouncements.

OK - so let me understand you then. Referees are making wrong decisions to make the game a spectacle! That's the only conclusion that I can draw from your pronouncements.

No - they are not making the wrong decisions on purpose. But their human error - both in their judgement and being influenced by players - is a part of the theatre of the game. If football was a sport played without human error by the officials it wouldn't be as exciting.