Atkinson decisions yesterday.

Pilchards

Perfectly aware of that, but I will always call them linesmen and not bow to the token rebranding which only served to remove a semantic issue around the term "female linesmen", given what an outlier they are at all levels of football and how unnecessary the renaming is and was.

Changing to the term "assistant referee" did not confer any additional powers on the 2nd and 3rd officials, and is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

I use 'linesman' (gender unspecific) when I know perfectly well that FIFA want us to call them assistant referees. It's a bit of a gobful though and a pain in the wrist to type, especially on a tablet.

Unless you can find the equivalent document from pre-1996 and highlight the changes in role, you're still not making a point. Literally all but one of those tasks were expected of linesmen too. The only difference is "assisting with bleeding" which wasn't a role of any official until after 1996 so has nothing to do with the renaming.

I use 'linesman' (gender unspecific) when I know perfectly well that FIFA want us to call them assistant referees. It's a bit of a gobful though and a pain in the wrist to type, especially on a tablet.

Exactly. They're linesmen, doing what linesmen do, which is exactly the role of the "assistant referee" in the pdf link above.

Deliberately kicking or attempting to kick an opponent is a red card, should we want to go down that road...

What about an attempt to kick the ball that ends up getting the man instead? (Still red card I guess if your name is Wanyama)

Anyway, the point was to play to the whistle and defend the ball. The game played on and there was ample opportunity to stop the goal.

What about an attempt to kick the ball that ends up getting the man instead? (Still red card I guess if your name is Wanyama)

Anyway, the point was to play to the whistle and defend the ball. The game played on and there was ample opportunity to stop the goal.

It was very quick but it looked to me like a secondary kick-out at Cedric and not part of the so-called tackle.

Play to the whistle Whitey G, play to the whistle.

Absolutely, I agree with you. You'd like to think that modern professional playing at the highest level would have this drilled into them instinctively. If you get a chance to see their first goal watch Forster and see how he stands there appealing that Costa has taken the ball over the lines stead of concentrating on the game. Fabregas's cross catches him on the hop.

I agree with the general principle, but I can also see the argument that there's absolutely no reason for the referee to have ignored the linesman in that situation so it was reasonable to expect that a foul was going to be given.