• Romeu
    • Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Højbjerg
    • Long

A consistent mid table premier team is the dream. An occasional good run in the Cups (although personally not that bothered), and giving the big boys the odd bloody nose.

Finishing high enough to achieve respectability and avoiding qualifying for Europe. I say that, because we are not really big enough to facilitate a European campaign as has been proven this season.

While we may not win a European trophy the away days are great fun (well I've only managed Arnhem and Milan, so others may disagree) and I'd love a few more - so I'd prefer we aim for a European cup place than not.

@ Chez and 5 string. Thank you for the sensible replies. As to the remainder of you who were so kind to comment: I'm all ears as to my innumerable grammar faux pas from you as I wish to learn and no doubt you are ready and willing to dissect my 'flowery' language. :)

OK.

You wrote, " ... and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I."

The word "with" here is a preposition. A preposition takes a noun in the objective case. "I" is subjective; the word you need here is "me".

And "wherein" is redundant.

Glad to be of service.

OK.

You wrote, " ... and recognise that it is there wherein you will find the failings, not with I."

The word "with" here is a preposition. A preposition takes a noun in the objective case. "I" is subjective; the word you need here is "me".

And "wherein" is redundant.

Glad to be of service.

......and that turn of phrase couldn't possibly be considered "flowery"....could it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The problem with basing things on 6 games is that they're based on 6 games.

We have never at any point this season looked bad enough to go down. Bottom half, probably but you've really got to be something else to go down. Just look at our defence when we ctually did get relegated. To a man they were dreadful, we'd have stayed up if any of them were as good as Yoshida.

I understand the point you (and others) are making, however it's not as simplistic as saying the defence were OK-ish. There are other factors - for example, the midfield was quite often found missing, too busy passing sideways or backwards...the fact we were not looking likely to score any time soon...and there were some signs that teams in the bottom 6 were starting to get a run of wins being strung together. Couple that with an increasing fear that Puel and Black's coaching and tactics were not fit for purpose.

Let's be clear - I was not trying to state I personally thought we would go down. Just that there is always a chance and it was arrogant based on a number of factors to think that we definitely would not. Based on past posts here, my impression has been that being overly confident was something reserved for fans of 'arrogant other clubs' and something we as Saints would not succumb to.