Financial Overview of Southampton

Grant Walker

I have an issue with this... player trading here isn't really "trading" but player sales, player purchases are being grouped under operating expenses. Truth is, our loss in 2018-19 can largely be put down to spending the Van Dijk money that we didn't spend in 2017-18 (hence the profit that year despite the large drop in revenue excluding player sales). In Swiss Ramble's analysis on twitter, our EBITDA for 2017-18 was £3m and for 2018-19 £-4m, so when excluding player trading (both sales and purchases) we are more or less breaking even.

Edited by Cartman

5 hours ago, Cartman said:

I have an issue with this... player trading here isn't really "trading" but player sales, player purchases are being grouped under operating expenses. Truth is, our loss in 2018-19 can largely be put down to spending the Van Dijk money that we didn't spend in 2017-18 (hence the profit that year despite the large drop in revenue excluding player sales). In Swiss Ramble's analysis on twitter, our EBITDA for 2017-18 was £3m and for 2018-19 £-4m, so when excluding player trading (both sales and purchases) we are more or less breaking even.

The analysis has been taken directly from the financial statements of Southampton.

Player Trading is, as you say it, profit on player sales. Player purchases and player sales are most certainly not being grouped under operating expenses. Player purchases are amortised through the income statement based on the term of the contract for which the player was signed. And, whilst EBITDA is a nice measure to monitor cash flow, it is critical to include player trading (the profits from player sales), as well as amortisation because that reflects the cost of making transfers, which is a core component to running the business. If I run a business that is profitable, but excludes any costs from investing (of which amortisation and depreciation represent), then I will be continously required to invest more capital into that business. 

Ultimately, over the 4 year period, the club has done pretty well from a profitability perspective. Nevertheless, FY2019 should make for some concern, particularly if the profit from player trading dries up, given this has historically propped up the overall profitability of the club. Club has recognised this and is now making inroads in growing its commercial revenue stream, given that matchday income and broadcasting income have plateaued.