The Australian Grand Prix Thread

Arizona

Remember 1998, the last time we had a radical rule change and the Mclarens lapped the entire field in Melbourne with Coulthard letting Hakkinen past on the last lap :( Anyway, it was only 2 races later in Argentina that Schumi had the beating of them.

This season I think will be different. Brawn I fear will soon be caught and passed in terms of development with their limited budget. However teams like RBR and Toyota do have the solid finances and infrastructure to challenge Ferrari and Macca long term. Just MHO of course.

We'll see. I think you're right. Not because Button or Barricello haven't got what it takes, but because they might be eventually be consumed by the extra resources McLaren, Toyota and Ferrari can throw at the problem. However, we shouldn't overlook the big trump card Brawn have. Ross Brawn himself. If they are to succeed, he'll be their biggest asset.

It's going to be a bit of a bittersweet week at BrawnGP. A fantastic weekend for the guys but they're laying off 250 blokes today. Not good.

Yes, they are now down to around 450 people. Apparently this was known by the employees as early as 2 weeks ago.

There looks to be some expert opinion against Arizona's and my view, that Brawn's superiority won't last the season out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7972046.stm

Must say, when you add up all the good points, and read them, it does make for a lot of bonus over their rivals.

Yes, they are now down to around 450 people. Apparently this was known by the employees as early as 2 weeks ago.

There looks to be some expert opinion against Arizona's and my view, that Brawn's superiority won't last the season out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7972046.stm

Must say, when you add up all the good points, and read them, it does make for a lot of bonus over their rivals.

They're pretty upset about the redundancies at the factory because they were under a very good redundancy scheme as Honda but, of course, the redundancies have been made under Brawn who has presumably offered the statutory minimum. There were talks of strikes and all sorts around Christmas - these guys have known about it for months, not weeks, StL.

As for having 450 staff, we're down to less than that and we manufacture our own engines and drivetrain. 450 people is still a luxury they might not be able to afford for long.

• 6 months later...