The Official Unofficial Glastonbury 2014 thread.

swannymere

I prefer this thread to yours DP - the title is less confusing ;)

Can't say I would be too fussed over Depeche Mode or Fleetwood Mac - I really want Arcade Fire to headline and I will be disappointed if they don't to be honest.

Didn't Eavis say all the headliners haven't played before?

Pretty sure Arcade Fire have played, but not headlined of course.

Would love it if they did of course. And I'd be pretty up for the Mac.

Didn't Eavis say all the headliners haven't played before?

Pretty sure Arcade Fire have played, but not headlined of course.

Would love it if they did of course. And I'd be pretty up for the Mac.

They subbed Bjork on the Other Stage in 2007. One of my goals in life is to see Arcade Fire headlining on the Pyramid Stage - it's a goal that I hoped I would achieve next year but maybe not! I'll be going to any other UK festival they're headlining though, just hope they don't decide to do Reading again :mcinnes:

They subbed Bjork on the Other Stage in 2007. One of my goals in life is to see Arcade Fire headlining on the Pyramid Stage - it's a goal that I hoped I would achieve next year but maybe not! I'll be going to any other UK festival they're headlining though, just hope they don't decide to do Reading again :mcinnes:

Hey, I could be wrong bud. Don't take that as gospel.

I'd bloody love it if they do headline. Though, lets face it, even if the headliners aren't saying much, Glasto will still be great.

• 2 weeks later...
Ohhhh come on.

We are all friends here.

We are. Taken in spirit that was intended.

That's actually a step down from "f*ck your wife".

I'll just get ms pap to give Super Michael a scouse slap if he acts up again :)

We are. Taken in spirit that was intended.

That's actually a step down from "f*ck your wife".

I'll just get ms pap to give Super Michael a scouse slap if he acts up again :)

Haha, rest assured I will be a charm. I'm a corporate man now don'tcha know?

KRG - me and my mate got a bit boozy at Wigan away, made a few loud choice comments about Northerners in an area mostly containing old ladies and young families (including the Pap clan). Seems we upset a few people (although I will add it was mostly my mate who was f*cking mullered) and drew a few glares from people when we moved to a different part of the stand. Even the Stewards were handing out sweets at Half Time and walked straight past me without offering me one :( :( :(

Haha, rest assured I will be a charm. I'm a corporate man now don'tcha know?

KRG - me and my mate got a bit boozy at Wigan away, made a few loud choice comments about Northerners in an area mostly containing old ladies and young families (including the Pap clan). Seems we upset a few people (although I will add it was mostly my mate who was f*cking mullered) and drew a few glares from people when we moved to a different part of the stand. Even the Stewards were handing out sweets at Half Time and walked straight past me without offering me one :( :( :(

Oh Mikey.

I thought you ****ed ya kegs or something. Maybe you should stick to the soft drinks whilst at the Cider bus eh?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sweet.

We're hiring a six berth motorhome for a week. Party over at pap's.

We have our planning meeting next Wednesday to make sure the VW Camper is up to it if not we have a 2/3 berth and a big tent organised. Yeah, we're BOUND to meet up at yours, not like there are many fields or anything to choose from

Sweet.

We have our planning meeting next Wednesday to make sure the VW Camper is up to it if not we have a 2/3 berth and a big tent organised. Yeah, we're BOUND to meet up at yours, not like there are many fields or anything to choose from

We're taking the kids with us, although the eldest is going to be staying in a tent with her mates. Main reason we went for the camper was because it acts as a big lock-box during the day. Less stuff to carry about, etc.

We're taking the kids with us, although the eldest is going to be staying in a tent with her mates. Main reason we went for the camper was because it acts as a big lock-box during the day. Less stuff to carry about, etc.

The Lock Box is the Godsend. Also means you have a DRY change of clothes and at least some washing facilities and with careful management (or take a UPS) you can recharge phones overnight. Oh and a Gas Fridge so you can have a Full English and have proper Milk for Tea & Coffee every morning is pretty bloody useful

There are free (for a small donation) lock-ups run by various charities on site, they're excellent, when i used to go as a punter/mong/track-blocker they were a godsend. I only started using them after all my clothes were stolen on the Thursday of my second ever festival, i smelt quite ripe by the Monday :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an oldie...when I went to festivals, every act was a headliner and there was just one stage. You sat down on the grass at 12 noon and got up at the end at 12 midnight, having seen everyone. Someone convince me you can do a multi-stage festival justice. It seems to be put together to appeal to a generation with a short attention span...flitting between stages in a desperate effort to catch everyone you think you should see.

I was offered a freebie to Saturday Glasto last summer...a friend's band was playing The Park Stage and he offered to put me on the guest list but only had one ticket. All I could think of were the hassles so I told him to give it to another deserving fan.

Are there others out there who would rather go to a gig with one main act and a support than put themselves through the extended frustrations and discomfort of a modern festival?

I'm an oldie...when I went to festivals, every act was a headliner and there was just one stage. You sat down on the grass at 12 noon and got up at the end at 12 midnight, having seen everyone. Someone convince me you can do a multi-stage festival justice. It seems to be put together to appeal to a generation with a short attention span...flitting between stages in a desperate effort to catch everyone you think you should see.

I was offered a freebie to Saturday Glasto last summer...a friend's band was playing The Park Stage and he offered to put me on the guest list but only had one ticket. All I could think of were the hassles so I told him to give it to another deserving fan.

Are there others out there who would rather go to a gig with one main act and a support than put themselves through the extended frustrations and discomfort of a modern festival?

22751706.jpg

Living in this strange plastic city I empaphise with the thoughts in your post. Back before '93 when I came here IF I wanted to see a big name act I had to go through the hell of going up to Wembley or occassionally being lucky to get some tickets in Poopey (Genesis) or Bompey to see tours.

My first gig here was Brian Adams (who actually puts on a rock show a close second to Bruce). I left home an hour before the show, stood up the front and it rocked. I was home again in 15 minutes. Over the years, thanks to mates, I have seen some amazing gigs, many from up front - Coldplay, Santana, an astonishing vocal performance by The Eagles, Sting, Hell even Head Banging by the speakers to Deep Purple and having Debbie Harry blow me a kiss (and many many more moments more so than Golfing stories!) and FFS even filmed the encore of Muse from on the stage. I have been lucky enough to have seen so many One off gigs HERE up close and personal.

And then there is Glasto. Perhaps for you guys it is different. For us here every gig is a "rip off" attempt at a 5 Star event. It is all slick and perfect, but, like this City, the gigs actually have no real soul. (Perhaps the only TRUE shows seen I have seen with soul here were small pub affairs with Howard Jones Unplugged & The Christians Unplugged with about 300 people). In fact the only REAL gigs I see these days with energy & soul are The Zucchini's when I am home in Salisbury & they are playing down the pub.

For us, Glasto is like an enema for the soul. It is Medieval. The trudging through the mud to catch The Wombles in concert before swimming down to discover Elbow via Duane Eddy. Do you have ANY idea how wonderful it is to be SMELLY for a few days? Eating complete sh1t and having a krap in a portaloo without a Bidet (or a slave to wipe your ass as some would imagine.)

I looked at the Album of the Year thread. I'd never heard of a singe artist. Arcade Fire? Who the feck are they? We NEVER hear that kind of music here. For us, Glasto is about moments. Escaping the rain by getting into the Pussy Parlour and listening to a Ska band from Bristol that were brilliant but who's name I have no idea about. Walking into a tent to hear the entire crowd go beserk & sing along to a song I had never heard by a band I had never heard of - magical moments.

Yes I understand Individual gigs are better, but for one long week myself, & Mrs D_P can escape this City with no Soul and find Reality amongst the Mud and weird fast food and not forgetting the joy of the Cider Bus and Mulled Cider for the late night acts.

Long may it continue (as long as I have a mate with a Working Camper Van of course)

Edited by dubai_phil