Brand voted 4th most influential thinker

sadoldgit

Nice timing that, what with the 7/7 bombing victims remembered today. Well done.

:lol: As "evidence" that I think he's a c**t! No - he's quite capable of convincing me he's one anyway. I was just pointing out that others think that too.

You may like him and that's cool. But I think he's a c**t. Simple.

His comments seem eminently sensible, what is it that you don't like?

If we held a minute's silence for everyone who had ever been killed in a terrorist atrocity no one would speak again.

*but only British people mind. And why do it just for terrorist attacks, why not for victims of motorway pile ups, or gas explosions, or house fires....?

If we held a minute's silence for everyone who had ever been killed in a terrorist atrocity no one would speak again.

I have no problem with those who don't approve of public displays of remembrance for whatever reason - each to his own. However, on today of all days a dignified silence on the subject so that unnecessary offence to those who were effected by this tragedy might be avoided would seem to be appropriate don't you think?

I have no problem with those who don't approve of public displays of remembrance for whatever reason - each to his own. However, on today of all days a dignified silence on the subject so that unnecessary offence to those who were effected by this tragedy might be avoided would seem to be appropriate don't you think?

Not really. It's an internet messageboard. It's not like he's walking round London shouting about it with a megaphone.

Do you need a minutes silence to remember those who were murdered in that awful massacre?

*but only British people mind. And why do it just for terrorist attacks, why not for victims of motorway pile ups, or gas explosions, or house fires....?

and murder victims, those who die of cancer, those who die of heart disease.........

What happened in Tunisia was truly horrific but sadly people lose their lives in tragic circumstances every day of the week. Where do you draw the line?

Not really. It's an internet messageboard. It's not like he's walking round London shouting about it with a megaphone.

Yes really - hundreds of people were directly effected by 7/7 and many more indirectly. Common decency should tell you that no good purpose can be served by offending these people - at any time really but on this day especially. It is by no means impossible that some of them might even be members of this forum.

You make a good point about British people. Why shouldn't we have a minute's silence for the poor souls who get butchered who are not British nationals? Don't they deserve it too?

Yes really - hundreds of people were directly effected by 7/7 and many more indirectly. Common decency should tell you that no good purpose can be served by offending these people - at any time really but on this day especially. It is by no means impossible that some of them might even be members of this forum.

No one is trying to offend anyone. The point is where do you draw the line with a national minute's silence where people lose their lives in tragic circumstances. How awful was the death of James Bulger? Did we have a minute's silence for him? What makes it worse than any other senseless killing.

Nice timing that, what with the 7/7 bombing victims remembered today. Well done.

My point is at what point do you draw the line? The Tunisian atrocity was one of three on that day. There are massacres on a regular basis. There are murders on a regular basis. We have a day every year called Remembrance Sunday - why cant we remember these poor souls then too? It is not just those who died in the World Wars who are remembered.

My view

the minutes silence was fair enough for the Tunisian massacre, 30 British deaths I think warrants it. If other countries want to remember their own that's down to them.

7/7 had its minutes silence in the aftermath of that tradegy. Any subsequent silences should observed by those who wish to, I don't think it should be imposed unless the organisation was directly affected eg London transport

You make a good point about British people. Why shouldn't we have a minute's silence for the poor souls who get butchered who are not British nationals? Don't they deserve it too?

This is the whole crux of Brand's argument - we are directly contributing to the deaths of countless others by selling arms to human rights abusers. Can you imagine the backlash if the gun used in this attack had been one we'd sold?

I suppose the argument is that if we didn't sell the arms then someone else would. Not saying that this is right. We might also sell arms to someone who then sells them on to terrorists. My point that they will get their arms from somewhere and it wont stop the killing.

The bloke is an utter attention whore, it's getting cringeworthy to watch.

He said in his video it had 'nothing to do with religion'. How can people think the spread of radical Islamic jihadism is 'nothing do with religion'?

• 3 weeks later...