Project Management v IT Engineer

saint_stevo

Currently an IT engineer, dealing with desktop, network and about 25 servers.

Job has come up doing some project management, would this be a good career move? Is project management well paid generally?

It's quite a big step and i have done some research, just thought i would ask on ere for some peoples thoughts as i know some are in Recruitment etc....

Cheers

Currently an IT engineer, dealing with desktop, network and about 25 servers.

Job has come up doing some project management, would this be a good career move? Is project management well paid generally?

It's quite a big step and i have done some research, just thought i would ask on ere for some peoples thoughts as i know some are in Recruitment etc....

Cheers

One of my daughters is an IT Project Manager. It's not THAT well paid but she does work for a Housing Association so maybe that's why.

A lot of IT seems to be going offshore these days, that's a lot less likely happen with project management roles as you need to have common sense and be able think for yourself.

With regards to the Salary, as with many jobs there is a massive range dependant on your employer and the industry. I think Bridge too far is correct by saying their daughters lower PM salary is due to working for a housing assocation. If you are going for a PM role working for a massive bank for example, then the salary could be a lot higher.

Best thing to do would be show an interest, get an interview and try and get a better feel of the new role and the people you'd be working with (they may even tell you about the wages), then see how you feel.

I am a full PRINCE2 'practitioner' and in the 'real world' I find it doesn't really help at all. Common sense, and understanding what you are doing, and why, is far more important, ( IMHO ).

But I love PRINCE. It makes my life as an auditor so much easier if a good audit trail is established, as required by PRINCE.

PRINCE2 is only really used as a guide to the project structure. No one could use the complete P2 as it stands as it is way too unwieldy. I did a week long course, passed the foundation exam but failed the practitioners test at the end of the week. It is a lot of info to take in, and i found it pretty boring which was a shame as the course cost me £1,500 out of my redundancy pay off and it kinda put me off project management as a career.

Col.

Well, it probably doesn't matter in private industry, but the sh*t would hit the fan if there wasn't an audit trail in local government / NHS.

How else can I prove that bribes have / have not been offered / taken :yawinkle:

BridgeTooFar - In your professional opinion, is nepotism easy to prove in local government?

BridgeTooFar - In your professional opinion, is nepotism easy to prove in local government?

If you mean senior managers / directors giving jobs to family / friends - I wouldn't know. I don't have to look at that sort of thing.

If you mean taking back-handers for giving contracts - it's not common and EU procurement legislation makes it quite difficult to do. A colleague of mine found an instance of a senior manager giving smallish construction contracts to a single firm (that, coincidentally, gave said senior manager whiskey at Christmas and many golf days). The manager was sacked.

And there was a well-publicised case a couple of years ago in Nottingham (I think) where again contracts were given to the same M & E and QS firms.

Both cases were in the NHS and both were caught out because they didn't comply with EU legislation.

Well, it probably doesn't matter in private industry, but the sh*t would hit the fan if there wasn't an audit trail in local government / NHS.

How else can I prove that bribes have / have not been offered / taken :yawinkle:

But I do work in the public sector, though nobody has yet offered me a bribe.:(

And without getting into a 'mine is bigger than yours' type of discussion, my network is 3500+ PCs, 230+ servers, and over 100 different sites.:rolleyes:

But I do work in the public sector, though nobody has yet offered me a bribe.:(

And without getting into a 'mine is bigger than yours' type of discussion, my network is 3500+ PCs, 230+ servers, and over 100 different sites.:rolleyes:

Well, if I were to audit any of your projects, I would expect to see an audit trail.

I do audit some local councils in the North West, BTW [-X

Well, if I were to audit any of your projects, I would expect to see an audit trail.

I do audit some local councils in the North West, BTW [-X

Bridge, have you come across Terry Pratchett's method for confusing auditors ?

Show them a piece of paper with "Please ignore this notice" written on it :p

Well, as long as there's a paper trail...... :D

You are welcome to come and brighten my office at any time; you will find MLT's autograph proudly displayed, along with my garden gnome painted in the Sanderson kit, and a little figurine of MLT stood on my PC.

I have been in IT for 18 yrs and have always done the "next big thing" qualification wise, Novell, MSCE etc and did my Prince 2 and passed both the papers. To be be honest I personally think PM is going though a faze with IT. Looking back I was doing the same job ie Server installations, User Migrations all those years ago and all ran smoothly with out any PM knowledge.

I would say take the role as the PM as it seems everyone wants PM, looking at various sites and it looks good on your CV, and to be honest that is what we want.

In a few years it will be something else!

As for pay? IT PM's, unless your contracting and have loads of experience doesnt pay much more.