Saxo VTS Cam cover gasket leak **PICS**

Saint_Jonny

Hello chaps!

Having a nightmare trying to seal up the exhaust cam - cam cover. The gasket was seeping oil, so I thought i'd have a go at fixing it, got my self some instant gasket and had a crack at sealing it up. (shown below)

Image332.jpg

Took it for a drive after changing the oil / oil filters and it ****ed oil everywhere out the top. Took it home and re-sealed it (caked it in sealer this time, not shown). Drove to work this morning and it was STILL seeping oil. Any advice from those who have done this before? Im at a loss..cant drive to work 2mu now :n:

Any help would be awesome :)

Cheers lads.

Image043.jpg

Image077.jpg

For a start; Instant gasket? Is that the recommended method? I would've thought the standard cork gasket from Citroen would only be a couple of quid and would do the job much better. Get one, scrape that gack off and fit the proper thing. The joint between the cam cover and the cylinder head won't be good enough for instant gasket to work.

Cheers for the replys folks, but being a saxo-nut (chav :p) i know that citroen (nor anyone else) supply replacement cam cover gaskets for the 16-valve version of the TU-5 engine that is in the VTS. Ive looked everywhere, and been told that its instant gasket or nothing.... might have to cut my own cork gasktet out maybe? Got someone who can get hold of some for me...might be worth a shot.

Cheers for the replys folks, but being a saxo-nut (chav :p) i know that citroen (nor anyone else) supply replacement cam cover gaskets for the 16-valve version of the TU-5 engine that is in the VTS. Ive looked everywhere, and been told that its instant gasket or nothing.... might have to cut my own cork gasktet out maybe? Got someone who can get hold of some for me...might be worth a shot.

There must be a pattern one available somewhere mate. I had a VTS a few years ago and during it's time with me it went for a top-end rebuild. They definitely fitted cork gaskets because I retorqued all the bolts after a few hundred miles myself. I'm guessing you've tried the Saxo forums but it seems weird that no one has heard of one.

Still, assuming instant-gasket is the way you have to go, I'd suggest a proper chemical clean of the mating faces, using acetone/ethanol before applying the sealant. Use plenty but keep it to the outside, as you did before. Then keep your fingers crossed as that Hermatite stuff is w*nk.

I would clean the mating faces, then put the cover on without a gasket. Holding the cover down squarely and firmly by hand check all round the periphrery with a very thin feeler gauge (1.5 to 2 thou) to see if the cover has any slight gaps. If ok, obtain a sheet of cork of the correct thickness, and after smearing the cover faces with grease (or engineers blue if you have it) press the cover down very firmly onto the cork backed up with a good flat surface (a thick sheet of glass would be perfect} Then all you have to do is cut carefully round the image created on the cork sheet by the grease, and there's your gasket. There is a company(whose name escapes me for the moment) on the millbrook industrial estate that deals with all kinds of jointing materials.

For a start; Instant gasket? Is that the recommended method? I would've thought the standard cork gasket from Citroen would only be a couple of quid and would do the job much better. Get one, scrape that gack off and fit the proper thing. The joint between the cam cover and the cylinder head won't be good enough for instant gasket to work.

What he said!!

I would clean the mating faces, then put the cover on without a gasket. Holding the cover down squarely and firmly by hand check all round the periphrery with a very thin feeler gauge (1.5 to 2 thou) to see if the cover has any slight gaps. If ok, obtain a sheet of cork of the correct thickness, and after smearing the cover faces with grease (or engineers blue if you have it) press the cover down very firmly onto the cork backed up with a good flat surface (a thick sheet of glass would be perfect} Then all you have to do is cut carefully round the image created on the cork sheet by the grease, and there's your gasket. There is a company(whose name escapes me for the moment) on the millbrook industrial estate that deals with all kinds of jointing materials.

Thanks mate thats great advice :) ill try this method out as soon as I can get my hands on the cork. Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks mate thats great advice :) ill try this method out as soon as I can get my hands on the cork. Ill let you know how it goes.

I forgot to mention ,that if the cover face proves not to be flat, ie. warped or irregular in some way, there are methods to correct this by hand or machine. I won't go into these unless you require that advice. If too bad it would require a replacement cover.

Not being familiar with the Saxo, I dont know what kind of crankcase (engine) ventilation system is fitted, but it would be advisable to check and clean any potentially blocked oil strainer/retainer fitted. If this system has built up enough sludge or carbon to restrict or block it, the resultant overpressuring of the crankcase will enable the oil to blow out anywhere that there is the slightest weakness in gaskets, oilseals and the like.

Edited by Handyman

Thanks handyman, uve been more useful than the people on the sax-p forum. I plan to get under the car later and give it a good clean later today, hopefully nick a lift to somewhere where I can get the stuff for the gaskets.

And no TDD, it is not lowerd, it rides badly anyway, I dont want to make it WORSE! I got the car because it really is rather good fun to drive, and suprises anyone who has the pleasure of jumping in it! :) much better than the more common, chav box that is the saxo VTR.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks handyman, uve been more useful than the people on the sax-p forum. I plan to get under the car later and give it a good clean later today, hopefully nick a lift to somewhere where I can get the stuff for the gaskets.

Did that solve your problem?

Edited by St Landrew
sorting the quote

• 2 weeks later...

Ello, just to update mr.handyman, its all fixed now, leak free and running well.

I cleaned the whole engine bay, took hours. Tried some "gasket paper" but it was worse than useless, so I went for a different kind of silicone, black stuff this time, i applied it after cleaning the cam cover and meeting faces vigorously, whacked some of the stuff on both the faces and havnt looked back! Dead pleased thats its all sorted now. Theres no oil appearing anywhere else on the engine block so its looking good at the mo.

Ello, just to update mr.handyman, its all fixed now, leak free and running well.

I cleaned the whole engine bay, took hours. Tried some "gasket paper" but it was worse than useless, so I went for a different kind of silicone, black stuff this time, i applied it after cleaning the cam cover and meeting faces vigorously, whacked some of the stuff on both the faces and havnt looked back! Dead pleased thats its all sorted now. Theres no oil appearing anywhere else on the engine block so its looking good at the mo.

Well done!!!

But I wouldn't have bothered with the gasket paper if it wasn't specified by the manufacturer. I suspect it was too thin for that application, although some rigid cam covers used to have thin paper gaskets.