Jump to content

gio1saints

Subscribed Users
  • Posts

    2243
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by gio1saints

  1. When you are as young as Tyler it’s hard /impossible to make a poor team good. But when you have the quality Tyler has, and his age, he can make a good team great. And can occasionally show class even in a bad team - but it’s rare and frustrating and not sustainable over full season in a poor team. People are conflating the rubbish team he played him with the player himself. And the position he was told to play and ultimately what he was told to do - and had to do / which was not his best skill set ( defending / tracking back tackling left wingers etc). This new squad should now be told in the championship - give ball to Tyler every chance you get. That’s about as complicated as it gets. Instructions to Tyler : do whatever you feel is good to make goals.
  2. I think that’s a good point. Well spotted @trousers. His regular use of that term has many potential interpretations but in general, given the context, given his detailed body language and my assessment of voice tone pitch volume etc I think in summary it means “ it was bad”. A lot of what he’s seen “ is bad” and certainly must “ improve”. That’s my current analysis. Will let you know more after I interrogate him on the 6th at the do.
  3. And if saints don’t do it presumably you will be one of the first on here complaining that they “ don’t listen” to fans. I agree it’s largely a PR exercise in being seen to listen and being open with supporters. I also agree that nothing said will change playing policy - nor Beer policy😵‍💫. BUT for those that want to get some insight into what our new Manager is really like it’s a great opportunity to ask him a direct question with a follow up. I will go to watch and listen intently to his response (s) and hence to make up my own mind about the measure of the man.
  4. The questions are not pre vetted. But Blackmore does go in a bit too much that’s true. Ive got my ticket. I’m going to think hard on what to ask this time around. We got the Brighton match and possibly some transfers to come in or out between now and then but It will be a direct Q to Will Still I’m sure. And not one in which he can give a vague answer or a yes/no. PS. You lot moaning about what questions will or will not be asked. If you care so much why don’t you turn up and ask your Question? And if you can’t be bothered why bitch about what others have asked? When I go yes I squirm at the beer questions etc but at least those people with their SFC beer interests are participating. It’s like having a pop at the government but you never bothered to vote.
  5. Good summary . I enjoyed reading your analysis and agree with most. Place I differ : I’m in the HODL ( Hold On for Dear Life) category regarding Tyler and Mateus. IF we can balance the books this season without selling either it would be a sign of SR’s true, naked, ambition. I’d admire that whether it worked or not. More than if they got a lot of profit this year on player trading. WRT to our attitude to the two lads I’d say “Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all “ Saints and us fans should give them all the love they can in order to help keep them developing here - not elsewhere. They ARE rare talents. They may go anyway as is likely but we should try EVERYTHING. Think on this : How many obviously destined to be top players have we seen sold off in bits and bobs over the decades as Saints fans? It’s countless numbers of top players…and how many times do we want to have that conversation on the terraces or down the pub or in here with fellow sufferers about “ just imagine if we had kept such and such young players with us for just another year ~ what a team that would have become..” I am a realist and realise it’s not going to happen. But as a Long term Saints fan I’d like to think I’m also a never say die idealist. I want to see a beautiful Saints team play beautiful Southampton football. Just one full season will do before I die. Not endless average or mediocrity or quite goods and total rubbish interspersed with a few good matches and one excellent half per season. And a Cup win or two to make us all feel better. Fuck that. Build and keep a winning team. Saints: Just one season more of TD and MF together please!
  6. Nice and timely history lesson! It was a BAD start. Maybe we should be grateful this time uf it’s simply not quite as bad. People underestimate the acclimatisation that’s required in the league in the squad and in the club.
  7. @Fabrice29 you are wasting your breath attempting to give posters here evidence showing that our last Championship season, far from being a dark period in saints history show was actually a free scoring success the line of which we rarely experience as long term supporters. The narrative is set in people’s minds that we were useless under RM. Because of last year. And nothing will dissuade them. Not even the gazillion goals we scored. And got promoted first time of asking.
  8. Looks like a potential replacement for Kameldeen / SamE. Its frightening how impotent we look in attack - despite all the strikers we have with goals in their past history. BBD, Adarma, RStewart and Cameron have not made any fantastic impression on me in preseason. Nor watching them fail all of last season either. When they get the ball I never sense panic in the opposition. Ive literally only got 30 minutes one goal Damian Down who probably does not give a damn about anything except scoring ( good) Quarsie, Jay R ( and Tyler IF he stays) that I am paying to watch this season atm and hope will not be frightened to shoot and attack. I want those three /four to start and if the others are still around they can support them- from the bench- or by leaving and opening up spaces for other fearless & effective players frankly.
  9. PS This was taken when we beat Everton in November last year - last time I got that happy at SMS probably!
  10. IF he’s the starting CF for Saints - a team likely to be scoring a high amount of goals this year by bookies opinion, then 25/1 is great value. Not if he’s on the bench though. I’d rather see DD starting - and the other forwards are there to support him not other way around. Between him and RS anyway. I don’t want to rely on Cameron or Adam this season as the main scorers.
  11. We have a potentially similar situation with Tyler. When he gets the ball he looks a “ fuori classe ” as they say in Italy but he’s not matured yet into the dominant player he “ might” become. I hope he will be our Jack Grealish and really shine this season and next before leaving g for that mega bucks move. He’s at least 1 season off being really worth £50m+ though imo. Right now he’s a punt at £25-£30m or so I’d guess - which I’d hope we say NO to of course.
  12. Fernandes is worth it. He was obviously much better than all his teammates last year but he could not carry the whole team. Put him in any EPL squad even top six and he adds value. Irs simple a shame we get one like that but Saints were not good enough for him to truly shine.
  13. Last time we went down a LOT of people here were expecting an immediate return to EPL-indeed as automatic. The reason given was largely our squad quality vs the rest and basically our ability to pay much higher wages because of parachute ££ etc. The more ££ a club has usually they win, that’s morally wrong but too often true. The balancing factor to that optimism was we had a new & controversial manager playing an ambitious but dangerous way and essentially he had inherited a bunch of losers - indeed the whole club was in doldrums. Im not sure so much is really thematically different from last time around overall - so I’m kind of surprised - but actually happy there’s this growing realisation that yes, it’s going to be incredibly difficult to get out this league. Everyone needs to perform at their very best if they are to get into top six. IF we start this campaign with some humility there’s a chance thousands of supporters will fall in love with their club once again. There’s a chance the players left may rediscover that Saints underdogs never say die spirit. And that, instead of arrogantly expecting to win every game “ because” - they go out and prove why they deserve to win. And we get genuinely happy each time we do. Good Time for a mental reset for everyone.
  14. Good to see Saints using me as the poster boy for the Brighton Game in their latest online advertising. Might have to ask Matt to send me a copy if the positive comments I’ve had from those seen it are true. If anyone wants a signed copy from the official Saints poster boy for the Brighton match I’m happy to oblige. Be available to sign them in the concourse near the best beer place…🤣
  15. I agree that club feel Baz and McCarthy are considered good enough to start season with. Whether that is correct t another matter. I do think we will see an incoming goalie though and my hope it’s for a #1 challenger -not a third or second choice - but maybe the ££ wages and fee will determine that as much as anything.
  16. Agree that we will start with Gav and Alex. I think that’s it for Aaron at Saints. Good guy and good goalie, he will do well at Newcastle. The prospect of Dubravka in return does not worry me but it’s v unlikely given his wages. We had Willy Cabellero do a similar “ older, experienced gk” job for us and I’m still expecting that type of goalie to be brought in even if Alex may consider that his domain even now. The timing of the Moody contract suggests we have hopes for him so it is rather interesting. The type of goalie Saints pick up will give us further clues about their general strategy for the season. Picking up a no mark kid prospect, hiring an old done it all pro, raiding stoke for their goalie or trying to get Sunderland’s etc etc.
  17. Nice @trousers- If it’s not what you say ( if you negatively criticise a player the club a tactic that’s generally all lovely on here as lots of people love to get in a crying gaggle ( whats the collective term for a group of moaners ? A “Wail” seems as good a term as any….) but just try personally defending anything on here that anyone else has determined is received wisdom and oh dear just bought yourself a ticket to Wail heaven. But that’s old news. Today’s Wailing novelty is HOW you say it THATS THE PROBLEM. ho ho. No initials for players names - half the posters here don’t even know who is in the squad so I appreciate use of their initials is actually a waste of time, others, realising that being offended nay even outraged and angry is the latest and best thing to be- about anything- but most of all about Saints can now take umbrage at initials. If you like this content please like and consider subscribing to SAINTSWAIL@SFC.com.
  18. I’d be v happy with the fc koln keeper ex DD teammate but it’s v unlikely. Failing that £5-£7m will get Viktir Johannssen from Stoke, who we should have bought off Rotherham. The latter reputedly on £15k pw.
  19. https://x.com/armeniefootball/status/1949886180142510141?s=46 Looks like Girona were interested but no offer. Surely we can outbid and outpay girona? Or are we being used to flush out Forest or Brentford for example?
  20. Thanks for the service Jan. Good move for you, good move for Saints. JQ will be the new starting Centre Back for Southampton this season to replace him as my first choice. I think the lad has got a great career ahead of him carries on like he’s started.
  21. Totally yes please from me too. Why this guy is not being picked up by an EPL team at the reputed likely fee is a mystery to me - but let’s hope we get this over the line. I will allow myself a few unrealistic fantasy team moments of imagining a Saints team with MF, this guy, Shea Charles, Tyler, Big DD up front, JR wizardry on one wing and JQ behind them all defending like his life depended upon it 🤣. NB. Might need another defender or two plus a good goalie not called Ramsdale and that wins the league for me!
  22. Loan or sale Rambo won’t be back. GB is now nailed-on as a starter for Wrexham. And that in turn gives strong indication, for me anyway, that the starting CB’s will be the outstanding from pre season Quarshie plus….somebody who knows GB knows his game from playing together previously and who trusts him and vice versa and all that gooey stuff - Jack. BUT it’s a calculated gamble and any goalkeeping errors first few matches I reckon Saints / WS will not hesitate to pull the trigger fast before end of window and replace him as first choice. If on other hand he does ok - ie some worldly saves keeps clean sheets no fucking passing to their CF nonsense we will still bring in an adult experienced GK but maybe not in the AR category as competition rather than as auto starter. Like the Cabellero geezer remember? Essentially the Will Still narrative is : you got injured, went away on loan it did not really work all that well, injured again yeah thats unlucky - BUT your keeping stats are not good Gavin. Not all your fault I get it with the style of football you were forced to plays But Let’s not delude ourselves. They gotta improve. I believe in you. You are gonna be my starting keeper - but you know Alex can come straight in and do a good job - so produce your best form. No need to say “or else”. These guys are pros and should know the score. Meanwhile 100% line up a replacement / alternative to Aaron in case good Gav reverts to bad Gav form cos he’s not getting a whole season to work on finding it…he’s got a handful Of matches tops and if he fucks up v pompey even fewer..
  23. Agree about BBD. Whenever ball goes to him it’s like we’ve passed to a very large sandbag. It means death to the move. He kind of has the ball close by and then - nothing happens. Others have to do stuff for him. The moment, if there was a moment or half chance closes and some of our players are out of position through trying to help him. So he’s actually a liability. He cannot run fast or even cleverly nor dribble and his tackle is poor & turning circle is tanker-like in addition he’s aerially uncompetitive and usually silent , his first few yards are in the head they say - his are in the changing room. We need a better wide player urgently. This player roast was brought to you by Gazprom, CL sponsors. 😁
  24. Jack Stephens is usually available about the 70th minute onwards after his early bath. Im here all week btw. 😁
  25. Because the ones we have not been good enough. Quarshie is an upgrade and having RE and SC return is strengthening us. In any case I don’t think we will be keeping all the CB’s we have by end of window BK and JB will go and some will sell or be loaned out. THB reputedly when he recovers may be a target ditto Taylor.
×
×
  • Create New...