Hugo Scheckter comes out as gay.

W9Saint

Put it this way - would you have the same awe-struck, humbled and touched reaction to being told the ground breaking news that someone is straight? That is every bit as important a piece of information as someone being gay.

I would be if being straight was the exception, the reason for people to have to fight for equal rights. Not now though, obviously. We live in a straight world, where being straight is assumed until told otherwise. There's no need to come out, so the comparison isn't relevant.

A few years back, some gay people started a gay campground down the road. I'll always remember the objections in the local paper. Mostly, they claimed that they objected to being forced to drive past it and made to think about all the butt diddling and nasty stuff going on in the trailers as they drove past. WTF? ..... Nobody is forcing you to think that!!!! You are doing it all by yourself!! Just drive past and see people on holiday!

The fact that it's such a big moment is still part of the problem - it shouldn't be. It should just be another facet of a personality like a favourite colour or food type.

Put it this way - would you have the same awe-struck, humbled and touched reaction to being told the ground breaking news that someone is straight? That is every bit as important a piece of information as someone being gay.

The answer is very simple. 90% of people are straight and only 10% are gay.

If 90% of people had green as their favourite colour, it was both your parent's favourite colour, your sibling's favourite colour and everyone in your school class's favourite colour too, then if a new boy joined your class everyone would just assume his favourite colour was green too.

If his favourite colour was green, he has no need to say anything as it was assumed by everyone anyway.

If his favourite colour is actually red, he would need to 'come out' to everyone to say he's different to them, he prefers red.

It really is that simple!

Well I for one will never set foot inside St Marys again.

FFS, this shouldn't be news. Making it news, making a big deal of it and applauding him as a hero for this only works to exaggerate how "different" he is and make it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

Batman is completely spot on that the best response to this kind of news should be everyone just shrugging their shoulders and turning the page, not going "OMG what an amazing step forward".

Naive. That kind of view ignores any kind of historical struggle for gay people to achieve equality, and more specifically, the enormous courage it takes for a person like Hugo to 'come out' in such a macho dominated arena like football. Look at the precedents in English football; there aren't many and the last 'out' gay player to have continued playing professionally in England killed himself.

Do you think that progress is achieved by straight men shrugging their shoulders, or is it activism, campaigning, and people having to battle against social prejudice to build a better society?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is very simple. 90% of people are straight and only 10% are gay.

If 90% of people had green as their favourite colour, it was both your parent's favourite colour, your sibling's favourite colour and everyone in your school class's favourite colour too, then if a new boy joined your class everyone would just assume his favourite colour was green too.

If his favourite colour was green, he has no need to say anything as it was assumed by everyone anyway.

If his favourite colour is actually red, he would need to 'come out' to everyone to say he's different to them, he prefers red.

It really is that simple!

Why would he need to announce publicly that his favourite colour is red? The only people who could conceivably require that information are those likely to buy him a gift.

Why would he need to announce publicly that his favourite colour is red? The only people who could conceivably require that information are those likely to buy him a gift.

Getting into a ridiculous analogy, but this is exactly my point. If someone wants to come out, crack on, but they shouldn't need to announce it to the world. How do we know that there aren't gay footballers that have come out to their colleagues and it just hasn't reached the public domain? It's none of our f*cking business what any of them get up to in their personal lives and by building it up and up and up is only going to serve to add to the pressure to anyone considering it and make them less likely to do so.

Getting into a ridiculous analogy, but this is exactly my point. If someone wants to come out, crack on, but they shouldn't need to announce it to the world. How do we know that there aren't gay footballers that have come out to their colleagues and it just hasn't reached the public domain? It's none of our f*cking business what any of them get up to in their personal lives and by building it up and up and up is only going to serve to add to the pressure to anyone considering it and make them less likely to do so.
I agree with this. The other side that people haven't considered either is what if some gay people haven't come out simply because they don't think it's anyone else's business? If someone is gay then good for them, what is the obsession with other people finding out though? If I were gay and in football I would certainly not widely publicise it because I don't want the ridiculous fuss that would come from any announcement.

I agree with this. The other side that people haven't considered either is what if some gay people haven't come out simply because they don't think it's anyone else's business? If someone is gay then good for them, what is the obsession with other people finding out though? If I were gay and in football I would certainly not widely publicise it because I don't want the ridiculous fuss that would come from any announcement.

I'm reminded of the public outings by Tatchell and his Stonewall crew years ago, when gay people were publicly outed against their own wishes. Why are we still baying for anybody to discuss their own sexuality if they have no wish to do so? Most of us have something among our sexual preferences which we would consider personal and nobody else's business; why should gay people be any different? If Hugo Scheckter wants to make a public announcement then fine, that's his choice, that doesn't mean it has to be everybodys.

I'm reminded of the public outings by Tatchell and his Stonewall crew years ago, when gay people were publicly outed against their own wishes. Why are we still baying for anybody to discuss their own sexuality if they have no wish to do so? Most of us have something among our sexual preferences which we would consider personal and nobody else's business; why should gay people be any different? If Hugo Scheckter wants to make a public announcement then fine, that's his choice, that doesn't mean it has to be everybodys.
A really good article about the subject from earlier this year. It's written by a gay bloke who concludes that the tabloids and the public should just allow people to 'come out' in their own time and not pressure anyone into making their sexual it public. I agree with his stance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/gay-man-footballer-stay-firmly-closet/