Boufal 1 WBA 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

No I don't agree. It shouldn't be a decision. If the contact make a you fall over, you fall over. If it doesn't you stay on your feet and try to get the ball back and hope the ref has spotted any foul. I know that the modern game brings enormous pressure to exaggerate the impact of the slightest touch in the box and I know I'm being overly simplistic and idealistic. But this "he's entitled to go down" attitude is awful. I hate it when opposition players do it to us and I hate it when our players do it as well.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't agree. It shouldn't be a decision. If the contact make a you fall over, you fall over. If it doesn't you stay on your feet and try to get the ball back and hope the ref has spotted any foul. I know that the modern game brings enormous pressure to exaggerate the impact of the slightest touch in the box and I know I'm being overly simplistic and idealistic. But this "he's entitled to go down" attitude is awful. I hate it when opposition players do it to us and I hate it when our players do it as well.

Yep! And the comment of "there's contact" has become so commonplace with pundits that now fans seem to use it as well to justify diving, undeserved penalties etc. It's a contact sport for goodness sake.

Bellerin's "foul" on Richarlison the other week a classic example. What are you meant to do as a full back when the winger knocks it on your outside, if turning and running alongside the winger towards the ball is going to end up with a penalty?

Trouble is, refs bring it upon themselves by not awarding a pen if a player is honest. Someone mentioned jrod at arsenal the other week, I remember it happening to kenwyne Jones in the play off first leg against Derby years ago. Stay on your feet and try and play on after a clear trip and you don't get the decision. So what's a player to do? I hate the exaggerated diving in modern football but if refs had the balls to give a decision when the player doesn't pretend to have stood on a land mine then they encourage this sort of behaviour.

Anyway, thought we were fairly good in the main against a team that parked the bus and offered no threat, and were saved by that moment which will live long in the memory. Substitutions were good (although I'd have gone for boufal before Redmond) and thought we generally showed more purpose, but let's not pretend we're a good side because of one worldy. Tempting fate but I don't see us struggling, but am not entirely convinced we'll make any progress this season either.

Yep! And the comment of "there's contact" has become so commonplace with pundits that now fans seem to use it as well to justify diving, undeserved penalties etc. It's a contact sport for goodness sake.

Bellerin's "foul" on Richarlison the other week a classic example. What are you meant to do as a full back when the winger knocks it on your outside, if turning and running alongside the winger towards the ball is going to end up with a penalty?

Completely different. Bellerin's foot had every right to be where it was.

If you place your hand on someone's leg to try to pull them back you are trying to commit a foul. Very different from natural contact which occurs when two players run alongside each other.

Completely different. Bellerin's foot had every right to be where it was.

If you place your hand on someone's leg to try to pull them back you are trying to commit a foul. Very different from natural contact which occurs when two players run alongside each other.

I wasn't necessarily equating Bellerin & Foster, merely giving an example of the 'there's contact' lunacy. However, while I do agree with your statement, just because someone is trying to commit a foul, it surely only becomes a foul once they make a significant obstruction to their opponent?

Seems Boufal did for West Brom in more ways than one.

Craig Dawson: West Brom defender out for two months with knee injury

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41765079

Nyom is the worst player I've seen in the past couple of seasons.

Last season he was subbed at half time, as he should have been given a 2nd yellow in the !st half and his assault on Dawson was hilarious.

I guess he will replace him this week. :suspicious: