Bevois Valley

scott_saints

No! No! No!

Where is the extra 'e'? Where is the 'y'? Its Nike pronounced like, as mentioned above, 'Dyke' not nikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Wikipedia knows all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike,_Inc.

The company takes its name from Nike, the Greek goddess of victory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

In Greek mythology, Nike (Greek Νίκη pronounced [níːkɛː], meaning Victory), was a goddess who personified triumph throughout the ages of the ancient Greek culture.

Wikipedia knows all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike,_Inc.

The company takes its name from Nike, the Greek goddess of victory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

In Greek mythology, Nike (Greek Νίκη pronounced [níːkɛː], meaning Victory), was a goddess who personified triumph throughout the ages of the ancient Greek culture.

Yes yes yes, all interesting stuff and good tinternet work Scud, but it doesnt indicate in english how to pronounce it! unless you know how to pronounce the little glitch above the i and the funny backwards 3!

That's not really the point. There's loads of words out there that SHOULD be pronounced differently. Beaulieu IS pronounced in a weird way and everyone uses the weird pronounciation.

But with Bevois Valley, it seems only the locals call it Beavis. Which is what I find strange.

It's beacuse it looks like it should be pronounced bee-vwah.

That's why outsiders might call it that.

Beaulieu would probably be pronounced bowl-yerr by someone who didn't know how to pronounce it.

HTH

It's beacuse it looks like it should be pronounced bee-vwah.

That's why outsiders might call it that.

Beaulieu would probably be pronounced bowl-yerr by someone who didn't know how to pronounce it.

HTH

well, strictly speaking ,it (if said how it's spelt) should be pronounced Bow leeoo........

HTH :D

i know its not quite the same thing, but years ago my dad was coming home from work and was stopped by an american and asked if he knew where "Bur sleddon Road" was... turned out the yank meant Bursledon Road...but i suppose to someone who didn't know, then 'bursledon' looks like it should be pronounced 'Bur sleddon'...

Edited by saint boggy

well, strictly speaking ,it (if said how it's spelt) should be pronounced Bow leeoo........

HTH :D

i know its not quite the same thing, but years ago my dad was coming home from work and was stopped by an american and asked if he knew where "Bur sleddon Road" was... turned out the yank meant Bursledon Road...but i suppose to someone who didn't know, then 'bursledon' looks like it should be pronounced 'Bur sleddon'...

Bow-lee-oo??

No, no, no, bowllleeeyyerreeiue ;)

Re Bursledon:

No I don't think it does - I think the Yank was being a dimwit! In evidence I present their pronunciation of "herb" as "erb" :o

So what's wrong when you poo white?

Happened to me once FACT!

Think it was something like a chill on the liver

Actually it was, because i was about 6/7, misheard what the docter said to my mum, and told everybody at school that i had a "chew on the liver", boy did they take the **** :(

Happened to me once FACT!

Think it was something like a chill on the liver

Actually it was, because i was about 6/7, misheard what the docter said to my mum, and told everybody at school that i had a "chew on the liver", boy did they take the **** :(

Funny you should say this as I once mishead what my parents said to me.

I had an ear ache and went to see the doctors. He told my Mum I had an ear infection and I wouldnt be able to hear very well.

Mum took me into school slightly late and I was trotting off ahead of her and she said to me, "Remember to tell your teachers you cant hear", knowing I was half deaf and wasnt really listening, she said "now what did I just say", oblivious to the situation and having not clearly heard what my Mum said I replied "Yes, yes, yes. Remember to tell the teacher mummy has diarrhea"!