Annoying snag with AVG 9.0

Saint in Paradise

avg is dead. Long live avira! Surely its the program that prompts for the restart not the o.s? Check the settings against each other.....

Agreed. Avira is 100% better. Although the splash screen after it updates gets a bit annoying. As does me calling it Aviva.

Not heard of Avira... what's so good about it? AVG seems to do the job quite nicely, but if this is better then I'll look at it.

AVG on access scanning is rubbish; if it even exists? Avira picks up 100% more stuff than AVG especially spyware. Nicer interface in Avira, quicker scanning times, right click and scan...

get Nortons 360 you cheap skates. People slag it off but i've found it to be superb.

From someone who works with PC's 6 days a week fixing problems, building them and supporting lots of multi-million-pound companies - don't touch Norton 360 with a barge pole. It runs as a massive process in the background which slows down your PC considerably, it replaces network drivers with modified Norton drivers to give you better protection - but most of the time this just causes the drivers to go corrupt and need to be reinstalled. It fills the registry with absolute crap. It is very expensive. Once Symantec/Norton have got your credit card details they often resubscribe you to their most expensive package without your knowledge. When uninstalling Norton programs it has to run an uninstall tool supplied by Norton to remove it - that's how strenuous and full of crap it is. You wouldn't believe how much it extracts onto your system when you install it.

On a side note, I'll be honest with you and say that Norton Internet Security 2010 is actually pretty good in that the user interface is good and it doesn't slow down your system as much as its predecessors. It's still equally sh*t at protecting you though. What's the point of installing it? None at all.

Disable the splash screen by following these instructions, and it's much better...

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

Thanks mate. I did try that but it didn't seem to work. Like most silly little things like a splash screen you end up just clicking on OK and never getting around to sorting it out! I'm sure it's just me missing something in the instructions.

Thanks mate. I did try that but it didn't seem to work. Like most silly little things like a splash screen you end up just clicking on OK and never getting around to sorting it out! I'm sure it's just me missing something in the instructions.

One thing I forgot to do at first with the splash screen was put the space in between '/min' and '/nosplash'.

Once it was instated, it was gone... :)