Brian Clough - The best manager the england team never had, Discuss,

Colinjb

Just watched 'The Damned United' and the special features within. It keeps saying this time and again as if on face value. I genuinely want to hear people's opinions on this, he was a damned good manager at club level (With Peter Taylor by his side...) but would he really have done it for England?

I think so. With all due respect he would have had more relative success than the likes of Revie, Mercer etc. I think he would have almost certainly upset the establishment and they were scared of that.

I can't help but think about how he took two rather regualr clubs with average players and turned them into League Winners and one even into twice European Champs. What would he have done with the stars we had around those times?

I agree ESB if the FA had the balls to have given the England job to Clough, I'm sure he'd have done a fantastic job. He had the knack of blending a team together of a few stars & a few average players/work horses into a cohesive decisive unit. To often England have picked 11 stars, but don't blend a cohesive unit together. The Gerrard Lampard debate still rages they are just too similar for me, to often they are fitted into the team, at the detriment of the unit. I think Clough would have made a decision on 1 or the other. But as you say the FA were frightened of him ruffling a few feathers & they bottled it. I'd have loved to have seen what we could have achieved with him in the job.

I keep coming back to the players we had around that time, not all at exactly the same time mind.

Banks, Clemence, latterly Shilton. Colin Bell, Channon, Summerbee.

Then those workmanike players who most of us cannot remember. Ones 'Ol Big'Ead' would have taken and hewn into world class defenders and midfielders.

His Forrest team consisted of many. Larry Lloyd, Archie Gemmil, John McGovern (also played for him at Derby) amongst others.

Clough workd wonders with so called "lesser" players. I wonder how he would have fared with the more gifted players? It didn't work well for him at Leeds but he did work wonders with the resourses he had and it would have been great to see him ruffle the feahers of the Establishment. But as has been said, they were afraid of him and it was never going to happen.

I'd have Cloughie over a Wenger type all day long.

Cloughie said it as he saw it.

Wenger bleats like a ******* sheep when things go against him, everyone's got it in for his players (apparently) but when his do something...oh dear he didn't see it. W*nker.

Same for Ferguson.

Warnock's a tw*t at times, but he's the closest thing to Cloughie in football today.