How apathetic are your workmates to the election?

View From The Top

Well over 50% of my workmates aren't bothering to vote with the main reason cited as "they are all the same anyway".

Is this sense of voter apathy widespread?

I've just asked Dave and George, and they seem up for it.

(That was a joke by the way, I don't work for the tory party)

A couple of the girls say that they probably won't bother as "there's no point".

If asked about who they would vote for they can only come up with "Cameron is too greasy".

That this is their only comment and they seem to not have a clue about any of the policies being proposed by any of the parties.

By the sound of it if they do vote then it will be based purely upon who their parents have voted for historically with no consideration given to thinking through the issues for themselves.

Although I am a strong believer that everybody should vote, maybe it’s better if they don’t.

I despair.

A couple of the girls say that they probably won't bother as "there's no point".

Although I am a strong believer that everybody should vote, maybe it’s better if they don’t.

I despair.

.... and to think that women had to fight to get to vote. Emmeline Pankhurst would be turning in her grave. I suppose BTF makes up for it.

If asked about who they would vote for they can only come up with "Cameron is too greasy".

That this is their only comment and they seem to not have a clue about any of the policies being proposed by any of the parties.

By the sound of it if they do vote then it will be based purely upon who their parents have voted for historically with no consideration given to thinking through the issues for themselves.

I despair.

Oddly enough the 50% I mention are all women.

People are more interested than average in my office; wading through vast amounts of newspaper coverage from papers of all political shades means that you have to take at least a bit of an interest in the election or go completely insane.

Whether this will translate into more of us turning out to vote than average is anyone's guess though - the more you see the amount of skewed horsesh*t spouted about politics from tabloid and broadsheet alike, the more cynical you get. On the other hand, you do end up very informed and without most peoples' 1-D red/blue worldview - think that's why we've got quite a few Lib Dems.

Well at least some women are taking an interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8622441.stm

I think with a lot of women, they tend to be more personal and discreet. Most of the girls in my office rarely discuss things openly across the office, yet the men are quite vocal and open. I do know that the ladies are all voting but seem reticent about voicing their opinions openly.

Overall, I would say that everyone in my office will be taking to the polls and political debate is openly discussed.