Steve Davis turning the clock back

dune

So he is, really rolling back the clock.

He had something like a 95% pot sucess. Instead of playing negative he's taking the game to higgins. Unbelieveable performance for man who last won a major comeptition 21 years ago.

Take it none of you remember Davis from the early to mid 80's then?

Christ - he made Dennis Taylor look like a fluent player - hence 19 million people staying up til 1am in 1985 to see Davis lose.

If everyone had played snooker like Davis did in his 'prime' then you wouldn't be watching it now. Luckily there were players like Jimmy White, Alex Higgins & Tony Drago who actually made the game worth watching.

He may have re-invented himself since then but he is still a c**** of the highest order.

Take it none of you remember Davis from the early to mid 80's then?

Christ - he made Dennis Taylor look like a fluent player - hence 19 million people staying up til 1am in 1985 to see Davis lose.

If everyone had played snooker like Davis did in his 'prime' then you wouldn't be watching it now. Luckily there were players like Jimmy White, Alex Higgins & Tony Drago who actually made the game worth watching.

He may have re-invented himself since then but he is still a c**** of the highest order.

Yeah everyone always wanted Davis to lose back then, but as he's got older and has been on the commentry/panels he's grown on me. Seeing him take an eternity to take a shot and playing filth whenever possible is actually quite amusing now.

Yeah everyone always wanted Davis to lose back then

Thing is. I still do!!!

Just like back then everyone (who wasn't a glory supporter) hated Liverpool FC (for the younger viewers think of the current Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal teams rolled into one - you either supported your local team or Lpool).

Lpool are still my most hated team and Steve Davis is still my most hated snooker player.

I guess old habits diehard for myself....

Thing is. I still do!!!

Just like back then everyone (who wasn't a glory supporter) hated Liverpool FC (for the younger viewers think of the current Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal teams rolled into one - you either supported your local team or Lpool).

Lpool are still my most hated team and Steve Davis is still my most hated snooker player.

With you on the Liverpool thing, I'm over the Davis hatred.

Tuesday 27 April (quarter-finals - best of 25 frames)

1000 BST:

Steve Davis (Eng) v Neil Robertson (Aus)

Graeme Dott (Sco) v Mark Allen (NI)

1430 BST:

Allister Carter (Eng)/Joe Perry (Eng) v Ding Junhui (Chn)/Shaun Murphy (Eng)

Mark Selby (Eng)/Stephen Hendry (Sco) v Mark Williams (Wal)/Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng)

1900 BST:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday 28 April (quarter-finals- best of 25 frames)

1000 BST:

1430 BST:

Mark Selby (Eng)/Stephen Hendry (Sco) v Mark Williams (Wal)/Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng)

1900 BST:

Well done to Davis, I was a bit of a fan of his way-back-when. He has shown himself to be a top bloke over the last 20 years or so, not just a top sportsman. He has always come across as having an incredible and self-depricating wit.

What I don't understand is why do snooker players abilities decrease with age. It's hardly a physical sport, the tables and other equipment are no different and the principle of hitting the ball at the correct angle to get it in the pocket remains the same. I appreciate a players eye-sight deteriorates but this can be corrected by glasses.

Full QF draw

O'Sullivan v Selby

Robertson v Davis

Allen v Dott

Carter v Murphy ( very good win over Ding Junhui)

Not the draw many would have predicted with Higgins and Ding Junhui both fancied and Dott probably the least fancied of the Scots to make the quarters though Stephen Maguire was totally out of form.

Semis :

O'Sullivan/Selby v Allen/Dott

Robertson/Davis v Carter/Murphy

Betting

O'Sullivan 2/1

Selby 4/1

Robertson 5/1

Murphy 11/2

Allen 8/1

Carter 14/1

Dott 20/1

Davis 40/1

Full QF draw

O'Sullivan v Selby

Robertson v Davis

Allen v Dott

Carter v Murphy ( very good win over Ding Junhui)

Not the draw many would have predicted with Higgins and Ding Junhui both fancied and Dott probably the least fancied of the Scots to make the quarters though Stephen Maguire was totally out of form.

Semis :

O'Sullivan/Selby v Allen/Dott

Robertson/Davis v Carter/Murphy

Betting

O'Sullivan 2/1

Selby 4/1

Robertson 5/1

Murphy 11/2

Allen 8/1

Carter 14/1

Dott 20/1

Davis 40/1

Murphy at 11/2 looks like a good bet. He was cueing well against Ding.

Thing is. I still do!!!

The only player I can remember to have got into the Steve Davis league of boredom is Peter Ebdon