Southampton MPs

TopGun

In Southampton terms you could slice 10% votes off both John Denham and Alan Whitehead and give it to the Tories and they would both still get back to Parliament. They both had close to 50% last time with the remainder split fairly equally between Tories and LDs.

Equally importantly, before JB and others lay into me for being a leftie, both Denham and Whitehead have built solid reputations as Southampton MPs as well as Labour MPs. So that counts for a bit also.

Also, remember that whilst Denham is a member of Brown's Cabinet, he resigned as one of Blair's ministers over the Iraq war.

Irrespective of party, I think both are quite principled, are not lunatics, had no part in MP expenses scandals, and are good MPs for Southampton.

both Denham and Whitehead have built solid reputations as Southampton MPs as well as Labour MPs. So that counts for a bit also.

Also, remember that whilst Denham is a member of Brown's Cabinet, he resigned as one of Blair's ministers over the Iraq war.

Irrespective of party, I think both are quite principled, are not lunatics, had no part in MP expenses scandals, and are good MPs for Southampton.

Agree 100% with this !

Equally importantly, before JB and others lay into me for being a leftie, both Denham and Whitehead have built solid reputations as Southampton MPs as well as Labour MPs. So that counts for a bit also.

To be fair TG, away from the national arena, on a local level there are good constiuency MP's of all colours (and there are bad, of all colours).

I live in Chichester and Andrew Tyrie is the local tory MP with 49% of the vote..... he also happens to be 563rd on the list of expenses, so it's nice to know he hasn't been taking the ****. He helped save the local hospital which was put up for closure and he led the way in laying into the bankers when he was on the treasury select committee. All in all, one of the better MPs. I believe he has twice been voted "backbencher of the year" by leading journalists.

...and for you lefties, he has opposed the iraq war (publishing many articles on his opposition) and founded the parliamentary group on extraorninary rendition. Even you would consider voting for him.

He was descibed by the editor of the spectator as follows:

“He’s got, perhaps, one of the best minds in the Party… Sometimes he is the conscience of his party (sometimes he is a thorn in its side) but when he stands up always he is a man worth listening to.”

If the outcome of the election is a Lib-Lab pact and they push through with PR, I really hope we don't lose the constituency link.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

His monthly mortgage claims for his terraced house in Islington, north London, stood at £1,284 in 2005, rising to £1,533 by 2007. The new Communities Secretary, who has responsibility for housing policy, also claimed for utilities, maintenance, insurance, television licence, council tax and phone bills.

In addition, the taxpayer paid him up to £250 a month for food and £25 a week to have the house cleaned. In 2005, he spent £2,479 on two chairs and a rug from John Lewis, and £400 the next year for a washing machine. This was followed in 2007 by a claim for £2,792 to have a bathroom wall damp-proofed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/cabinet-expenses/5602014/John-Denhams-expenses.html

His monthly mortgage claims for his terraced house in Islington, north London, stood at £1,284 in 2005, rising to £1,533 by 2007. The new Communities Secretary, who has responsibility for housing policy, also claimed for utilities, maintenance, insurance, television licence, council tax and phone bills.

In addition, the taxpayer paid him up to £250 a month for food and £25 a week to have the house cleaned. In 2005, he spent £2,479 on two chairs and a rug from John Lewis, and £400 the next year for a washing machine. This was followed in 2007 by a claim for £2,792 to have a bathroom wall damp-proofed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/cabinet-expenses/5602014/John-Denhams-expenses.html

Mmmmm....

237th of MPs on the expenses list as a Cabinet Minister who might have to spend a fair amount of time in the Smoke eh Dune.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_denham/southampton%2C_itchen#expenses

£25 a week on house cleaning. £400 for a new washing machine. Do you want ministers to live under the arches at Waterloo?

You really need to get a perspective Dune. Those are cheap London costs. Where's his duck house and moat? Where are his first class rail expenses?

Edited by TopGun

Mmmmm....

237th of MPs on the expenses list as a Cabinet Minister who might have to spend a fair amount of time in the Smoke eh Dune.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_denham/southampton%2C_itchen#expenses

£25 a week on house cleaning. £400 for a new washing machine. Do you want ministers to live under the arches at Waterloo?

You really need to get a perspective Dune. Those are cheap London costs. Where's his duck house and moat? Where are his first class rail expenses?

237th out of 650 MP's put's him in the worst half of the scumbag MP's who're only interested in lining their own pockets. In 2005, he spent £2,479 on two chairs and a rug from John Lewis - £2,479 on two chairs and a rug!!!! - if you think that is acceptable behaviour I would suggest that you are completely out of touch with how the public feels.

237th out of 650 MP's put's him in the worst half of the scumbag MP's who're only interested in lining their own pockets. In 2005, he spent £2,479 on two chairs and a rug from John Lewis - £2,479 on two chairs and a rug!!!! - if you think that is acceptable behaviour I would suggest that you are completely out of touch with how the public feels.

I think that is OTT TBF. To satisfy you Dune, I will write to him about that.

Nevertheless, he is an outstanding MP.

Edited by TopGun
email sent to JD: check your PMs Dune

I genuinely think The Conservatives and the liberals will do better than the polls suggest in terms of seats. The Conservative vote is holding up in the the Con-Lib marginals (as suggested by the Guradian) and the real brunt of the swing against Labour will see the left wing vote split in many areas helping the Conservatives win seats from Labour that wouldn't have been expected.

I genuinely think The Conservatives and the liberals will do better than the polls suggest in terms of seats. The Conservative vote is holding up in the the Con-Lib marginals (as suggested by the Guradian) and the real brunt of the swing against Labour will see the left wing vote split in many areas helping the Conservatives win seats from Labour that wouldn't have been expected.

Like Southampton????

In Southampton terms you could slice 10% votes off both John Denham and Alan Whitehead and give it to the Tories and they would both still get back to Parliament. They both had close to 50% last time with the remainder split fairly equally between Tories and LDs.

I've not lived in Southampton long, however I have only heard good things about the local MP's and for that matter the candidates from the other parties. This is obviously not the case in many areas so I think we are lucky in that respect. In all the tv debate and presedentialism I hope local candidates stances are not entirely ignored. If we are to get electoral reform there should be some way of separating your vote so you can vote for an individual locally and a government nationally who may not necessarily be the same party.

I hope they both go tbh, and think they will.

Why's that Joe? Have they done rubbish for you in their capacity as local MPs or are you just saying Labour are rubbish cos you read it in the paper?

To be fair TG, away from the national arena, on a local level there are good constiuency MP's of all colours (and there are bad, of all colours).

I live in Chichester and Andrew Tyrie is the local tory MP with 49% of the vote..... he also happens to be 563rd on the list of expenses, so it's nice to know he hasn't been taking the ****. He helped save the local hospital which was put up for closure and he led the way in laying into the bankers when he was on the treasury select committee. All in all, one of the better MPs. I believe he has twice been voted "backbencher of the year" by leading journalists.

...and for you lefties, he has opposed the iraq war (publishing many articles on his opposition) and founded the parliamentary group on extraorninary rendition. Even you would consider voting for him.

He was descibed by the editor of the spectator as follows:

“He’s got, perhaps, one of the best minds in the Party… Sometimes he is the conscience of his party (sometimes he is a thorn in its side) but when he stands up always he is a man worth listening to.”

If the outcome of the election is a Lib-Lab pact and they push through with PR, I really hope we don't lose the constituency link.

Thats the whole trouble with the modern Conservative party though (and indeed Labour). Tyrie is an excellent MP, perhaps one of the best, but because he knows his own mind and doesnt always follow the whip, he is left as a relatively insignificant back bencher whilst compliant and mediocre idiots fill many of the front bench positions. If there were more independently minded MPs of all shades parliament would be much better for it.