Alex Salmond

Thedelldays

I have banged on about the Westlothian Question on here many times before. It really is an issue that needs to be addressed as this proves.

As said he really is a twit. For the duration of the past government Labour has been supported by Scottish MPs that have voted on issues not affecting their constituents and are no moaning about the fact that the Tories are in power.

Fair play to Labour for rejecting the 'Rainbow Alliance' - and for once I agree with David Blunkett who claimed that this would represent a 'majority of the defeated' and this certainly would raise some very sticky democratic and constitutional issues. The idea of an anti-Tory coalition really is loathesome - and characteristic of how nasty left-wing politics can be.

He keeps banging on about "85% of Scottish people not voting for the Tories" in Scottish seats in the general election when 80% didn't vote SNP either!

Why don't any interviewers pick him up on this??

100% of people in England didn't vote for Scottish MPs who vote on bills that only effect England. He is such a muppet.

Alex Salmond is a tool, but the SNP are pretty much the only main party that give a toss about Scotland. I'm sure if there was a referendum on the continued membership of Scotland in the United Kingdom that the vast majority of Scottish nationals would vote in favour of staying, but the SNP have done a good job and know what needs doing in the areas, which frees up the main parties to concentrate on other areas and worries.

Alex Salmond is a tool, but the SNP are pretty much the only main party that give a toss about Scotland. I'm sure if there was a referendum on the continued membership of Scotland in the United Kingdom that the vast majority of Scottish nationals would vote in favour of staying, but the SNP have done a good job and know what needs doing in the areas, which frees up the main parties to concentrate on other areas and worries.

yes..they would vote it in...that is why the SNP get so many votes..:rolleyes:

yes..they would vote it in...that is why the SNP get so many votes..:rolleyes:

Nope, it's not, as I said in my post. Remember there being an unofficial poll a while back, and less than half said they would be in favour of it. The SNP have large support because their representatives are Scottish and know the communities that they'd be representing, unlike the Labour and Conservative Etonian candidates.

He keeps banging on about "85% of Scottish people not voting for the Tories" in Scottish seats in the general election when 80% didn't vote SNP either!

Why don't any interviewers pick him up on this??

Because it is important to the Scots who dislike the Tories a great deal and find that they are in government

The make up from Scotland is Labour 41 Liberal Democrat 11 Scottish National Party 6 Conservative 1

So they may have a point

Edited by John B

Because it is important to the Scots who dislike the Tories a great deal and find that they are in government

The make up from Scotland is Labour 41 Liberal Democrat 11 Scottish National Party 6 Conservative 1

So they may have a point

This is a fair point.

I think it is very silly to call Salmond a tool etc as posters have done above. Salmond is a smart politician who is representing the Scots very well.

People like Dune say why do the Scots have so much influence. It is partly to do with the West Lothian question as Ian highlights above but ultimately the UK includes Scotland, Wales and NI.

There seems to be much paradox and contradiction with English First posters here. Do you want England as a single political nation and the Scots as another political nation? Salmond would rip your arm off to agree if that's the case.

Scotland has enough renewable and conventional energy potential to exist as an individual nation with its own economy without a doubt and that is becoming ever more clear.

You have to make your minds up. UK or England. Scotland would do just fine alone and not have to call on "English subsidies" at all.

Edited by TopGun

This is a fair point.

I think it is very silly to call Salmond a tool etc as posters have done above. Salmond is a smart politician who is representing the Scots very well.

People like Dune say why do the Scots have so much influence. It is partly to do with the West Lothian question as Ian highlights above but ultimately the UK includes Scotland, Wales and NI.

There seems to be much paradox and contradiction with English First posters here. Do you want England as a single political nation and the Scots as another political nation? Salmond would rip your arm off to agree if that's the case.

Scotland has enough renewable and conventional energy potential to exist as an individual nation with its own economy without a doubt and that is becoming ever more clear.

Are we talking about North Sea oil here?

Why do the Scots believe that in any break up of the 'United' Kingdom that North Sea oil would automatically pass to them?

If I was to marry a Scottish lass and we bought a house in joint names in Scotland but some years later we got divorced and i moved back to England, the house wouldn't by default become hers. It would be spilt according to legal entitlement rather than on a geographical basis.

I assume the scots (by logical extension) are in favour of giving the falklands and it's oil fields to Argentina?