Mis-sold TV by JL

Johnny Shearer

The old man bought a plasma telly about 2 and half years ago. The salesman said it was HD ready.

However I did query this with the old man, so he went back and checked. Again the salesman said it has progressive scanning so it is completely HD ready.

However I've recently checked the back and there seems to be no HDMI slots and suspect that the TV is indeed not HD compatible. Have checked online two and it seems that the model number is the same except for one a couple of letter in the serial, differentiating between the normal and HD versions.

I was wondering what actions he could take (as the old man is going to JL this weekend to see what they say) and whether people have had similar problems?

Well its a really odd resolution (by which you usually tell if its "HD" or not)

The number usually checked is the number of vertical pixels, most are 1080 or 720... yours is 480, which by comparison is the highest res on a wii (i think).

Whether you could class this as "hd" or not is debatable, but according to this link

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html

the TV is very much "SD" and not "HD" (where S is Standard)

Digital TV - SDTV:

* 480i - 704x480 interlaced

* 480p - 704x480 progressive

Digital-HDTV:

* 720p - 1280x720 progressive

* 1080i - 1920x1080 interlaced

* 1080p - 1920x1080 progressive

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I don't think he has a hope in hell of doing anything, though. Two and a half years is way too long a time to complain. The company will just say that he has had more than enough time to check and he has therefore affirmed the contract.

Although John Lewis give 5 year warranties i believe, and they tend not to like people kicking up fuss in store so they just change the set.In the past i have had customers getting set's replaced by them miles out of warranty,though this because of faults and not lack of research on the product.

I don't think he has a hope in hell of doing anything, though. Two and a half years is way too long a time to complain. The company will just say that he has had more than enough time to check and he has therefore affirmed the contract.

Although John Lewis give 5 year warranties i believe, and they tend not to like people kicking up fuss in store so they just change the set.In the past i have had customers getting set's replaced by them miles out of warranty,though this because of faults and not lack of research on the product.

Yes it is a long time to complain but my point was that the salesman lied in order to sell the set. He paid £2.5k for the TV and stand with the intention that it would be 'future-proof' for HD when it kicked in properly.

As a knock-on result Sky HD is useless for us and so is Blu-Ray etc due to the telly.

He would have been happy to pay a bit more for a HD set but the salesman confirmed it was HD on the second instence the old man went back to voice his concerns.

Hopefully JL will come to some compromise, ah well. Will see how it goes.

The number of times technology has been sold on the back of a promise of it being compatible with services or popularity far into the future is legion. There are 1000's of different TVs, radios, videos, you name it, that have fallen short, partially due to another format gaining precedence. Never, ever buy on the promise of a technology that may well still be years away, or will never fully catch on. Let other people pay the massive money and make the mistakes, and you learn from them.

HD-DVD anyone..?

BTW, hope you get some satisfaction against a miss-selling of the product. You'll be one of very few who will.

I can tell you exactly what happened and what the problem is as I used to work in the industry.

The problem is that the standard by which HD is measured has changed since the TV was bought. When the first "HD Ready" TVs came out the resolution was lower than it is now ( it's now 1080p). This meant that the TV your father has was HD ready at the time of purchase but since the standard has changed it no longer applies. Most electronics companies now sticker TVs as "Full HD Ready" or HD 1080. Baj is also right about the lack of HDMI sockets. It was usually a component input on early TVs.

If you really kick up a fuss you might get a refund/ exchange but given that you've left it for two years it's probably too late. Companies are much less reluctant to excahnge stuff now given the state of the economy and JLs profits are way down so they'll be much tighter on this sort of thing. Guarantee means nothing as there's no fault with the set.

Cheers people. Just thought I'd get a few thoughts.

What Corp Ho. says seems in line with what I've read online too. Some manufacturers were keen to crack on ahead with 'HD' TVs even though the specs hadnt been defined initially.

Calvin - I did check the TV when he first bought it as I was concerned myself about it not being HD ready. As I mentioned before, the old man went back stating my concerns but the salesman said there was no need to change/upgrade it at all.

Cheers people. Just thought I'd get a few thoughts.

What Corp Ho. says seems in line with what I've read online too. Some manufacturers were keen to crack on ahead with 'HD' TVs even though the specs hadnt been defined initially.

That's true, it has developed over time. However I don't remember it ever being as low as 480, 720p was the lowest resolution for 'HD Ready' I think.