Hants v Kent 20/20

chrisobee

Kent won toss and bat, teams :

Hants

JHK Adams, MJ Lumb, MA Carberry, ND McKenzie, SM Ervine, AD Mascarenhas*, N Pothas†, DG Cork, DR Briggs, CP Wood

Kent

RWT Key*, JL Denly, M van Jaarsveld, GO Jones†, DI Stevens, MT Coles, Azhar Mahmood, JC Tredwell, HMCM Bandara, SJ Cook, A Khan

Looks like we are giving them a chance and only playing 10 men and not an overseas player in sight smiley-confused004.gif

Dimi has had a reaction to his injury and is out again. He does not know how long.

Kabir Ali told me before the game he was off for an xray on his knee. Still looks some way from being able to play again.

Duncan Fletcher back at the Rose Bowl tonight and in the dressing room.

Lumb seems to have been found out. Caught the last three times in the same position backward of leg.

Both sides found it difficult to get the ball off the square. Important first win.

It's a shame Dimi is injured as the team for last night looks well balanced with 6 bowlers to chose from and strength in depth in the batting. Rather emphasises how important he is to us. As for the overseas player situation it would not surprise me in the least if Mendis didn't join since the situation with overseas players this season has been pretty farcical and the one who has played ( before last night) not really that inspiring. On the whole I don't blame Hants as circumstances have not been kind at all though I really would have preferred it had we signed a pace bowler as opposed to Herath. So with no Afridi or Lee I'm more than happy if we just go along with Razzaq who looks as if he actually wants to be here and could well be a key player. When asked how he saw his role his reply I liked, very good attitude :

“I like both bowling and batting so I am happy to do either but, for me, it’s important to adapt my game to the needs of the team.” (He answers with great humility.) “That’s how I’ve made my name, by doing whatever needs doing and trying my hardest to do whatever is required.”

“When I play cricket I am aware that I must be a professional. I am not only representing myself but also my team and my country. I’m here to perform well, to play positive cricket and to pass on experience if anyone needs it."

In terms of Lumb perhaps Razzaq has put the curse on him by stating :

“I only bowled one over to Michael in that match ( 20/20 Eng v Pakistan), but it was very clear that he was a great player, and an attacking batsman. It’s interesting because he’s only just gaining recognition as a player, but I feel sure that in a years’ time he could be the best batsman in the world.”

Looks like a technical issue if he is getting out in the same way regularly but hopefully it is something he can work out, for sure he is another player who is key to our team.

Does that mean we can play Razzaq in the 4 dayer ?

No, I don't think so. The squad is :

Jimmy Adams

Michael Lumb

Sean Ervine

Nic Pothas

Dominic Cork

James Vince

Michael Carberry

Danny Briggs

Chris Benham

James Tomlinson

Chris Wood

Neil McKenzie

Ali was included in the original squad but as in Weston Saints post above looks like he is still not fit, Dimi was not going to play anyway.

Brett Lee's arm injury means he wont be playing for us this year. There is also a rumour that the Sri Lankan board are to block Mendis joining for the 2nd half of the season.

Did you hear anything similar, weston?

Looks unlikely he will come. Giles White is resigned to not having him. That said I think Danny Briggs will do a good job for the rest of this season.

Signing overseas players who still have an international future is fraught with difficulties for all clubs but if they are not the best then why sign them when you have a good set of younger players coming through from the Academy.