Ghurkas

swannymere

I've been watching the story of the Gurkhas trying to get parity with other nationals after serving our country loyally, with interest. Now, it looks like some of the most deserving people have finally got the right to stay.

Gurkhas win right to stay in UK

A group of retired Gurkhas fighting for the right to settle in Britain have won their immigration test case, their lawyers have said.

Five ex-Gurkhas and the widow of another Gurkha veteran took their case to the High Court in London.

They were challenging immigration rules which said that those who retired from the British Army before 1997 did not have an automatic right to stay. The judgment could mean some 2,000 Gurkhas being allowed to settle here.

more here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7644441.stm

All it means so far is that the law has been deemed illegal, but the Parliament still needs to change the law to actually allow them to stay in the UK.

They're hoping for 1m signatures on this petition, which is http://gurkhajustice.org.uk/

I'm going to Pokhara in February where they are recruited and staying on the base for two weeks as a mate's husband is a Captain there. Really looking forward to meeting the people out there as they are supposed to be amazingly hospitable.

Completely agree that anyone who fights for our country should have all the rights of any other British Citizen.

I always so "NO" in MacDonalds. They're a bit too strong for me and detract from the other flavours.

ps Of course, these people should be treated exactly the same as any other member of the British armed forced. They goes for the right to a pension, decent wage and the right to stay in this country. In fact, the should be given precendence over some of our other, more retarded ex forces members.

No question they should be allowed to stay and on a slight change of course I seem

to remember that the Royal Navy had a ship named HMS Gurkha I might be wrong though.

Just clicked on that link and I see that I am not allowed to sign it as I am not a UK resident

anymore. I would ask the daughter to sign it but she is so slow doing things at times that

she would probably forget. However I will pass that link onto people I know in the UK as I hope

other non UK residents will also do.

I was correct for once LOL

HMS Gurkha (F122) was a Tribal-class frigate of the Royal Navy. She was named after an ethnic group located in Nepal, and whose people continue to serve in the British Army. Gurkha was built by John I. Thornycroft & Company of Woolston, Hampshire. She was launched on the on 11 July 1960 and commissioned on the on 13 February 1963.

Edited by Saint in Paradise