JP - A Refreshing Change

Saint Charlie

Talking up the abilities of our players (Lallana must feel like a world beater after Jan's comments today on the OS) and clearly believing in our players.

Not overlooking them in favour of 30+ has beens. (Was Lallana really not good enough to play last season?)

Feeling elated after a win, hurt after a loss, he clearly cares about the club and the players, who he has faith in (even if a certain group of fans don't).

Bringing in young, hungry, technical players eager to find their way in the game/proove others wrong. So far some very canny signings.

Blending this with a splash of experience, Kelvin, Killer, Chris Perry and Wotton, helping keep feet firmly on the ground, good pros who have made the best of their talents. Many of our youngsters will achieve better things if they follow the professional examples of the above, who whilst not world beaters have made good careers out of honesty and endevour.

Football as it should be played in its purest form, when we win its excellent, when we lose, a learning curve.

Refreshing honesty in the media, "we lacked passion" or "must do better" as opposed to mindnumbing cliches "didn't get the rub of the green", "need to bring more players in". No excuses.

Clearly improving what we have, nurture not discard, here is your chance, up to you if you take it.

Players who appreciate the chance they have been given, Lallana (sharp rise to prominence), McGoldrick (consistent first team run), Holmes, Robertson (get back on track) and for many others a belated chance to show what they can do.

A team showing hunger, fitness and a desire to improve, players not simply delaying retirement or seeking a comfort zone and good payday (as with certain players over the last few seasons.)

A core of English talent, good team spirit, fighting to prove to the boss they are good enough.

For me this season so far, the ups and downs, new stars, better playing style, has made it the most compelling since the cup final days. We won' be in the playoffs but we won't go down. One thing is for sure, every player improves game by game, and that should take us in the right direction.

Jan Poortvliet has made far more good decsions that bad. If this continues he will do well for us, and should be our best manager since the Wee Scottish one.

Dutch joker? I would say he will have the last laugh!

(This is just my opinion, I'm not a Lowe fan, nor do I hate him with a passion often seen on here. As far as I am concerned in the issue of JP he is largely irrelevent).

Edited by Saint Charlie

Charlie, I hope you're right, and from what I've seen so far this season, it's at least been a rollercoaster worth the ride.

The real test for JP, though, is whether his team can start stringing results together, because without consistency, we're never going to get out of this division.

Never too soon to get off the rollercoaster...

Saint Charlie, I agree. I have no axe to grind about chairmen (couldn't give a toss, they're all self-centred PR-obsessed idiots as far as I can see), but I do like the way that JP has gone about things and I feel a pride in the team that I haven't felt for several years. I think it's because it feels like most of the players want to play for us (I know this illusion could well come crashing down round about January 1st); because they've come through the academy they feel more like 'our players' than the oddball collection of journeymen that we've had since the relegation season.

Also, maybe because he's not an embittered hack of a manager, and we're his first English club, JP seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for the game which I find infectious. He's certainly far less guarded in his comments to the press than many of our ex-managers, and, watching him kick water-bottles about during the Blackpool game, I think he's as passionate as Pearson was.

Talking up the abilities of our players (Lallana must feel like a world beater after Jan's comments today on the OS) and clearly believing in our players.

Not overlooking them in favour of 30+ has beens. (Was Lallana really not good enough to play last season?)

Feeling elated after a win, hurt after a loss, he clearly cares about the club and the players, who he has faith in (even if a certain group of fans don't).

Bringing in young, hungry, technical players eager to find their way in the game/proove others wrong. So far some very canny signings.

Blending this with a splash of experience, Kelvin, Killer, Chris Perry and Wotton, helping keep feet firmly on the ground, good pros who have made the best of their talents. Many of our youngsters will achieve better things if they follow the professional examples of the above, who whilst not world beaters have made good careers out of honesty and endevour.

Football as it should be played in its purest form, when we win its excellent, when we lose, a learning curve.

Refreshing honesty in the media, "we lacked passion" or "must do better" as opposed to mindnumbing cliches "didn't get the rub of the green", "need to bring more players in". No excuses.

Clearly improving what we have, nurture not discard, here is your chance, up to you if you take it.

Players who appreciate the chance they have been given, Lallana (sharp rise to prominence), McGoldrick (consistent first team run), Holmes, Robertson (get back on track) and for many others a belated chance to show what they can do.

A team showing hunger, fitness and a desire to improve, players not simply delaying retirement or seeking a comfort zone and good payday (as with certain players over the last few seasons.)

A core of English talent, good team spirit, fighting to prove to the boss they are good enough.

For me this season so far, the ups and downs, new stars, better playing style, has made it the most compelling since the cup final days. We won' be in the playoffs but we won't go down. One thing is for sure, every player improves game by game, and that should take us in the right direction.

Jan Poortvliet has made far more good decsions that bad. If this continues he will do well for us, and should be our best manager since the Wee Scottish one.

(This is just my opinion, I'm not a Lowe fan, nor do I hate him with a passion often seen on here. As far as I am concerned in the issue of JP he is largely irrelevent).

Thanks Jan for joining Santsweb, I'm sure you'll enjoy being a member on here!

Seriously though let's keep our fingers crossed that this enforced strategy will work for SFC, afterall all fans want us back on track. I do raise a wry smile each week though to see the new posts whose emphasis is purely down to whether we've had a good or bad week with the two 'opposing' camps poised at their keyboards waiting to pounce....

good post jan seems a proper coach and hopefully will lead us back to the premiership in the next few years.

Good post largely agree he is working well with what we have got and the kids play some nice football would like to see us defend better as a team in parts of all the games I have seen we look so exposed at the back if it wasnt for Kelvins brilliance we would be struggling would also like to see a bit of a physical precence so we dont get bullied out of games mid table would be progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Im sure WGS is upset his status as a SFC manager is about to crumble