Salisbury

Thedelldays

I like The Haunch of Venison, a rather 'handy' place to go.

Haven't been there for years but remember the Haunch of Venison as an excellent pub. Also used to enjoy Salisbury races. In the old days you would see a lot of the Saints players there for the midweek fixtures or at the weekends in the summer.

I like The Haunch of Venison, a rather 'handy' place to go.

Do you know what? I saw a prog about a pub with the severed hand of a gambler within, and have tried to find it believing it to have been in Winchester! (Google was no help)

Reading your post has just reminded me that it is actuually in Salisbury. I am most grateful and will visit at the next opportunity to see said hand. Anyone know the full story so that I can impress Mrs H when we get there please?

Do you know what? I saw a prog about a pub with the severed hand of a gambler within, and have tried to find it believing it to have been in Winchester! (Google was no help)

Reading your post has just reminded me that it is actuually in Salisbury. I am most grateful and will visit at the next opportunity to see said hand. Anyone know the full story so that I can impress Mrs H when we get there please?

Yeah, the gambler cheated so they cut orf his hand.

It is thought that there are two wandering spirits: the Grey Lady, who is searching for her child; and the Demented Whist Player who is tormented by the loss of his hand, severed in a card game due to cheating. In the House of Lords is a mummified hand discovered in the 19th Century, which may have belonged to the ghost. In March 2004 it was stolen feared never to be returned but reappeaed in mysterious circumstances 6 weeks later.

Edited by Master Bates