Cheap Eats

Gully

I think that you need to plan ahead and invest some money in herbs, spices and sauces to jazz-up plain food. Have you got access to a freezer? If you make meals up in bulk and freeze them it works out even cheaper. I can make a kg. of bolognese-type pasta sauce from scratch for under a £5 and that's easily enough for 6-8 meals. A slow cooker is handy also, you can make alot of cheap meat tasty but you have to invest time in the prep and cooking.

Well, on the basis that "substansial" means meat and potatoes based:

1 400g pack of ground beef (99p)

1 bag of potatoes (£1.28)

6 pack of bread rolls (59p)

That'll make you homemade burgers and chips for £2.86 - works for me, anyway. Also, it helps when Tesco are doing 18 bottles of Carlsberg Export for £5.

how about a stew??

brown off some cheap cuts of meat in the frying pan....(stewing steak or cheap chicken fillets) then just chop up loads loads of different veg: parsnip,swede,carrots,leaks,onions,potatoes, n chuck 'em all in a big stewpot with a couple of oxo's, some gravy,bit of mustard and anything else that takes ya fancy :).

i always like to leave mine to mature for at least a day , to tenderise the meat, and serve it with some yummy crusty bread......MMMMMMMM......you will get a good 3-4 meals out of that, and shouldn't cost you more than about 4 quid .

how about a stew??

brown off some cheap cuts of meat in the frying pan....(stewing steak or cheap chicken fillets) then just chop up loads loads of different veg: parsnip,swede,carrots,leaks,onions,potatoes, n chuck 'em all in a big stewpot with a couple of oxo's, some gravy,bit of mustard and anything else that takes ya fancy :).

i always like to leave mine to mature for at least a day , to tenderise the meat, and serve it with some yummy crusty bread......MMMMMMMM......you will get a good 3-4 meals out of that, and shouldn't cost you more than about 4 quid .

Good call and freezable.

Mince and mash, all sorts of pasta's and salads, there are loads of choices tbh.

Chop an onion up with that mince Jilly stick it in a pan with a few table spoons of water, low gas stirring until meat is cooked then add some thick gravy and simmer for 4 Min's,

Another one Good size jacket spud when cooked cut in half lay a cheese slice on each half and baked beens Hot or cold on top.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Fish pie: mashed potato, peas, Alaskan Pollock and a white sauce. Pretty nutritious and cheap, especially if you buy from ASDA or LIDL.