Washing the dirty linen in public as a PLC

TopGun

Saints are one of the few footballs clubs that are still quoted on the stock exchange and I feel this is currently a visible disadvantage because everyone from the likes of Paul Allen to us individual supporters can see the financial situation.

However, I have a feeling that in the future such transparency may start to work in our favour. We have no idea about the finances of most of the privately owned clubs in the CCC but I think it would be fair to say most of them (apart from QPR etc) are probably as ropey as ours and possibly more so in very many cases.

The cause of this of course are the ridiculously large and bank leveraged sums of cash that football clubs have been paying to players and agents in a collective game of financial suicide to stave off short term relegation issues.

I have a feeling that our current pain and cost cutting exercises may put us in good stead with our opposition clubs in the not to far future when their perilous situations unwind courtesy of the credit crunch and draw in of bank lending. Just hope we can stay up for as long as it takes for the other clubs to unravel!

Saints are one of the few footballs clubs that are still quoted on the stock exchange and I feel this is currently a visible disadvantage because everyone from the likes of Paul Allen to us individual supporters can see the financial situation.

However, I have a feeling that in the future such transparency may start to work in our favour. We have no idea about the finances of most of the privately owned clubs in the CCC but I think it would be fair to say most of them (apart from QPR etc) are probably as ropey as ours and possibly more so in very many cases.

The cause of this of course are the ridiculously large and bank leveraged sums of cash that football clubs have been paying to players and agents in a collective game of financial suicide to stave off short term relegation issues.

I have a feeling that our current pain and cost cutting exercises may put us in good stead with our opposition clubs in the not to far future when their perilous situations unwind courtesy of the credit crunch and draw in of bank lending. Just hope we can stay up for as long as it takes for the other clubs to unravel!

Very good point! The credit crunch will bring many teams back to our level but a year behind. If David Luker can build a supporters model based on tomorrows football rather than todays, we may rise out the ashes a much stronger club. I doubt that either he has the ability or the flexibility.

Do any of you business heads know if there is any advantage/disadvantage of being a PLC if we go into admin?

Will we be more or less likley to go into admin because we are a PLC (will the banks give us more leeway)?

If we go into admin will it be more or less messy/protracted because we are a PLC?

We may also benefit a lot by a financial collapse of the Premiership. Lets say that in light of the Credit Crunch that Sky & Setanta only offer about 50-60% of their last payments? I would imagine a fair few Premiership clubs could go bankrupt if their main revenue stream was severed like this (Pompey hopefully)?

:D

We may also benefit a lot by a financial collapse of the Premiership. Lets say that in light of the Credit Crunch that Sky & Setanta only offer about 50-60% of their last payments? I would imagine a fair few Premiership clubs could go bankrupt if their main revenue stream was severed like this (Pompey hopefully)?

A sound point. If the bubble burst with the TV money then clubs like us with no money/ambition/investors/pot to p*ss in (delete as appropriate) will be laughing. Mainly because we are at least trying to operate within our means now.

I doubt we'd benefit that much (are we really hoping other clubs go into admin?) as far as I can see only three teams go down each season... We'd still have to get promoted on off our own back.

I'm not convinced being a PLC is either an advantage or a disadvantage in terms of prospective buyers knowing the full financial picture. Any buyer worth their salt would insist on carrying out full due dilligence on the accounts regardless of whether there were publicly available summaries or not, and at the end of said period of due dilligence they would (should) have a clear picture of how the finances stack up, again regardless of whether the bottom-line figures are public knowledge or not.

In terms of the Premier League broadcasting revenue, I'm not convinced that's going to be affected by the "credit crunch". Viewing figures abroad are increasing at a ridiculous rate and there are likely to be more than just Sky and Setanta bidding for the next domestic contract when it all begins again early next year. The likes of BT Vision and ESPN are likely to want to get a piece of the action, and, in much the same way as Setanta have done, they are likely to use the Premier League rights as a loss-leader in terms of getting subscribers on board which can then lead to other revenue streams.

While Sky's profits fell from £750m or so to £60m last year, there's not a cat in hell's chance that they won't do all they can to keep what is basically their flagship. If Sky didn't have the majority of the exclusive Premier League coverage, I think their business model would start to fall apart.