BT throttling torrents

thesaint sfc

I tried newsgroups and found they were crap.

I'd like to continue downloading via torrents. Yesterday I downloaded 56GB and my internet speed was flying, then all of a sudden the internet is still really speedy but the torrents are downloading extremely slowly (10-20kbs) I assume BT have caused this? Left my laptop on last night and its just continued right through peak time. Is there anything I can use to block them from knowing what I'm downloading so they just think I'm downloading like if I downloaded from megaupload or something?

I tried newsgroups and found they were crap.

I'd like to continue downloading via torrents. Yesterday I downloaded 56GB and my internet speed was flying, then all of a sudden the internet is still really speedy but the torrents are downloading extremely slowly (10-20kbs) I assume BT have caused this? Left my laptop on last night and its just continued right through peak time. Is there anything I can use to block them from knowing what I'm downloading so they just think I'm downloading like if I downloaded from megaupload or something?

I dont know if peerblock has any effect on BTs controls specifically but it might get in the way of them knowing what you're downloading as that is what it is for. I assume if you are downloading torrents then you already use this or similar as you may get copyright police knocking your door soon without it............ (not that I'm implying your downloads aren't legal of course....)

Because I mostly download films - they often come in rar capacity. I'd find I'd download an 8GB torrent for a bluray and one of the rars would be corrupt so I'd have to start again. Also you've got a HUGE amount of crap to reel through before you find what you want. Also files seem to often be badly labelled. In a torrent situation if a file was badly labelled it wouldn't get seeded so it doesn't work its way to the top of the pile. In newsgroups this is obviously not the case. A number of times I have downloaded something only to find it has been in foreign language. Also because files are often rar'd you stand a much higher chance of getting a virus. Also you have to pay for newsgroups. Torrents are free. Also all the software I have downloaded so far to deal with newsgroups have been very buggy. Also you are unable to read comments someone has made about the file you are about to download to find out if it is of good quality etc.

I dont know if peerblock has any effect on BTs controls specifically but it might get in the way of them knowing what you're downloading as that is what it is for. I assume if you are downloading torrents then you already use this or similar as you may get copyright police knocking your door soon without it............ (not that I'm implying your downloads aren't legal of course....)

I guess I'm lucky - never used anything like that. I've been downloading over 100GB a month for a long time now too. Never had a problem. I do always go for an uncapped business package though and I tend to think ISP's don't tend to keep as close eye on these packages.

Because I mostly download films - they often come in rar capacity. I'd find I'd download an 8GB torrent for a bluray and one of the rars would be corrupt so I'd have to start again. Also you've got a HUGE amount of crap to reel through before you find what you want. Also files seem to often be badly labelled. In a torrent situation if a file was badly labelled it wouldn't get seeded so it doesn't work its way to the top of the pile. In newsgroups this is obviously not the case. A number of times I have downloaded something only to find it has been in foreign language. Also because files are often rar'd you stand a much higher chance of getting a virus. Also you have to pay for newsgroups. Torrents are free. Also all the software I have downloaded so far to deal with newsgroups have been very buggy. Also you are unable to read comments someone has made about the file you are about to download to find out if it is of good quality etc.

Sounds like you don't really know how to use usenet.

Firstly, register with http://www.newzbin.com

I'd find I'd download an 8GB torrent for a bluray
is this actually what you want? On newzbin you can search by fileformat, size, encoding type.

one of the rars would be corrupt so I'd have to start again"
this is most probably a fault with your usenet supplier, who do you use? Also, download the par2 files, they are there to fix these sort of things, a good usenet reader like Newsbin (not the same as newzbin) will do this automatically for you.

Also you've got a HUGE amount of crap to reel through
On newzbin its all indexed and searchable.

Also files seem to often be badly labelled.
not an issue on newzbin

downloaded something only to find it has been in foreign language"
on newzbin each film comes with a list of what countries language they are for, along with any subtitles supplied.

Also you have to pay for newsgroups
Yes you do, but I quite like the fact my paid service allows me to encrypt all my traffic.

Also all the software I have downloaded so far to deal with newsgroups have been very buggy
http://www.newsbin.com/ - I've been using it for about 8 years and its never once crashed.

Also you are unable to read comments someone has made about the file
newzbin has a full commenting system

The issue isnt usenet being crap, its just that you werent using it in the right way

OK - thanks Baj. I'll give it another shot when I'm at home.

You have to pay for newsbin don't you? I did download that but resented having already paid for giganews to then be paying out for that.

you mean newzbin? yes but its something silly like 20p a week.

If you want to go down the usenet route but need simplicityI would go and download and install SABNzbd from here. SABNzbd runs as a service on your PC and will deal with most issues associated with usenet downloads such as missing/corrupt files. You just download and open the nzb file and SABNzbd kicks in and handles the file download, extract, and repair if required. I use it along with SickBeard to automate my US TV show torrents. The latest episodes are sitting on my server waiting for me every morning.

If you want to go down the usenet route but need simplicityI would go and download and install SABNzbd from here. SABNzbd runs as a service on your PC and will deal with most issues associated with usenet downloads such as missing/corrupt files. You just download and open the nzb file and SABNzbd kicks in and handles the file download, extract, and repair if required. I use it along with SickBeard to automate my US TV show torrents. The latest episodes are sitting on my server waiting for me every morning.

is this free then?

Is there not a little program like utorrent that can deal with the downloads?

SABnzbd doesn't float my boat. I tried it last night. It feels sluggish as it doesn't realtime update how much you've downloaded without refreshing. It also runs through your web browser so its hard to keep an eye on it - I'd rather have a little program that deals with it.

I'll perhaps give the one Baj recommended a go. Still resent paying for it though! It's ugly as f*ck too.

SABnzbd doesn't float my boat. I tried it last night. It feels sluggish as it doesn't realtime update how much you've downloaded without refreshing. It also runs through your web browser so its hard to keep an eye on it - I'd rather have a little program that deals with it.

I'll perhaps give the one Baj recommended a go. Still resent paying for it though! It's ugly as f*ck too.

It does the job with no fuss, there's no reason why it needs to look pretty. Ive used it for as long as ive been on usenet.

I enabled SSL but it wouldn't download with it. I'll have a look into that tonight. I'm on the 256 Encryption one with 20 connections so it should work!

I found a program called unzbin which is identical to utorrent just for handling .nzb files so fingers crossed this should do the job for me!

I enabled SSL but it wouldn't download with it. I'll have a look into that tonight. I'm on the 256 Encryption one with 20 connections so it should work!

I found a program called unzbin which is identical to utorrent just for handling .nzb files so fingers crossed this should do the job for me!

You're paying for SSL connection, suggest you make sure its working, it's your insurance policy! Sure you got the correct port set up?

Baj, lets assume one wanted to download Forrest Gump. A nice easy film that the majority of people have seen and thought it was good. Could you do me a massive favour and go to download said film? As I've spent 15 minutes now looking for a DVD version of the film rather than a blu-ray copy meaning that the file size should be under or around 1GB. Can I find one? No I can't. It would have taken me about 10-15 seconds to find and start the download using a torrent. I've typed Forrest Gump into newzbin, run a search. A majority have foreign flags next to them so I ignore them. I looked through. Couldn't find it in less than nearing 2GB in size. I put it into ascending order. Also couldn't find it. What am I doing wrong?

More hunting around?! I typed in forrest gump and scrolled down to to one that looked the right size and was posted in xvid group, how is that more hunting around?

And yes, 5gb, you said you wanted DVD of it! :p

Ive always used Emule and got what Ive wanted. Maybe a little slow compared to the others mentioned??

Depends on your connection I guess, I can download a 8gb Xbox 360 game in 29 minutes :p

Grabit works quite nicely and it's free.

Nothing personal Baj, but BASTARD! I live less then 1k from my local exchange and get less than 3mb, bloody awful. Even the BT engineer that visited was surprised.

Im only talking hypothetically of course... I've never downloaded an xbox 360 game in my life....