Oscar Gobern

niceandfriendly

It seemed to me that Gobern had decided early on that the player was going to try and pump the ball back in and he was going to throw himself in front of it, by making himself big and blocking it. He just got there before that happened and threw himself into the player instead. Poor challenge, deserved a red, but don't think he meant it in the first place. A sign of lack of experience, if anything. He'll learn with time.

It seemed to me that Gobern had decided early on that the player was going to try and pump the ball back in and he was going to throw himself in front of it, by making himself big and blocking it. He just got there before that happened and threw himself into the player instead. Poor challenge, deserved a red, but don't think he meant it in the first place. A sign of lack of experience, if anything. He'll learn with time.

Sums up my thoughts nicely. The way he curled his body when he jumped seems to back this up... the lad ran with the intent of jumping at the ball and making himself big, changed his mind late when there was no way of backing out, but was in mid-air by the time that thought process started. Lack of experience, too keen to impress and something he will certainly learn from. Let's not kick him out of town just yet.

I agree that sending off Gobern was the right decision. Totally irresponsible to launch himself at an opponent in the way he did and could have caused serious injury. But what about some consistency from Referees? Smith, the on-loan Spurs player in the Bournemouth No 15 shirt raised his hand to Goberrn twice after the incident, despite the fact that the Bournemouth player had already got up and was clearly not injured. Smith pushed Gobern, not once but twice, yet the Ref did not even speak to him. It certainly merited a verbal warning, if not a yellow card.

Just an example of a young player being a bit uncoordinated and his body not responding to what he wanted to do. Certainly not a Harald Schumacher moment. 3 or 1 game ban?

Other than that, he's looked good the few times I've seen him play. Battles well, good control, good pace, willing to have a shot. Definitely one for the future. Looks a bit gangly at the moment, probably still growing which would explain his strange attempt at tackling...

Always pleased when its Oscar coming on, as he is a very competent, and increasingly combative player, and does nothing stupid. The moaners on here who know so much about football really should go and get a job in football then come on here and pontificate about a nipper who is doing alright. The lad is only 20, he is tall and gangly and has just really come out of his awkward growing age which does not help some lads. Just because he has not exploded onto the scene like Oxo or Theo in their teens, does not make him a crap player who will not make it above our current level.

Hmmm....you may want to edit this post....