Oscar Gobern

niceandfriendly

Has anyone else been impressed with Goberns little cameo sub appearances in recent weeks? Whenever he's come on he looks assured, strong in the tackle and has a decent first time shot on him too.

Look at the Forte chance yesterday, all down to Oscar making a well timed challenge in the middle and slotting a decent ball through only for it to be squandered, and he almost scored when he made a great chance for himself a few minutes later.

Could be another gem for the future if his development continues.

Been very impressed. It seems to be the norm for our fans nowadays to not like anyone who didn't cost us a bomb or come with glowing reports from their previous club.

I could understand if people were biased because of his disastrous performance away to MK Dons last season when he was chucked on at left back, but no-one has even mentioned it before.

If he keeps up this level of performance i'm more than happy with our cover at CM.

He is getting better all the time. I was also hoping to see more of Callum McNish though, he was being touted as a player similar in style to a Patrick Viera. If so our midfield for the future looks promising.

I was wondering about McNish too, it seems to have gone quiet for him over the last 6-12 months.

He's a decent player, has been unfairly labelled as deadwood at times. I remember his debut (i think it was hid debut?) when he came on against Preston and played a massive part in us winning that at the death.

He's had problems with injuries in the last year or so - but if he can keep himself fit and get some games under his belt then he's a very handy player.

He came through with the likes of Mcgoldrick and Dyer didn't he? I don't think the asscociation with that season does him much good! Seems to have taken longer to come through then others, but he has definately improved greatly.

Great game on Tuesday. we actually improved a bit when he replaced the cautious (yellow carded) Chaplow. I know NA rated him very highly as soon as he arrived here. Seems a lot bigger and stronger than when he first debuted for us (a few years ago now!)

Has anyone else been impressed with Goberns little cameo sub appearances in recent weeks? Whenever he's come on he looks assured, strong in the tackle and has a decent first time shot on him too.

Look at the Forte chance yesterday, all down to Oscar making a well timed challenge in the middle and slotting a decent ball through only for it to be squandered, and he almost scored when he made a great chance for himself a few minutes later.

Could be another gem for the future if his development continues.

Agreed. Thought he looked like the new Drew Surman when he played before, mostly in left midfield. Now he's back in the frame he looks promising at CM.

Mmm, sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but for me he is far away being good enough unless we're content to remain in L1 forever and certainly not good enough for the NPC. Not got a problem with him being 4th choice while we're in this league, but to harbour thoughts of him remaining with us as we climb back through the NPC is daft IMO. He's far too lightweight in the tackle and not decisive or precise in his passing to be an effective CM beyond L1.

Mmm, sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but for me he is far away being good enough unless we're content to remain in L1 forever and certainly not good enough for the NPC. Not got a problem with him being 4th choice while we're in this league, but to harbour thoughts of him remaining with us as we climb back through the NPC is daft IMO. He's far too lightweight in the tackle and not decisive or precise in his passing to be an effective CM beyond L1.

remind me how old he is again? That you've written off any chance of him ever improving?

None of us are able to judge his long term ability on the few appearances he has made, however what has been clear from those is that he is improving in training with the first team and has is earning his appearances. Only when he starts to have a few 90 minutes under his belt will we be able to see his full potential, so unless those who criticise him have seen him regularly in training, I think the only thing we can sensibly conclude is that he is showing promise and we should be cautiously optimistic about his progress. Adkins is blooding him gradually in a position that is difficult for young players to break into and I trust his judgement.

to disagree with you all, he's a shocking player, not good enough for league one, falls over ALL the time, like bambi on ice and can't pass, shockingly bad.

Hence my comparison with Surman, or maybe I should have mentioned Oakley. The sort of player some fans never appreciate, however much other fans and the manager do.

You obviously didn't see his tackle and through ball to Forte on tuesday night then. it's a long time since i've seen one of our midfielders clatter another player without giving away a free kick and then actually do something with the ball. I know it was only 20 seconds of football but the lad is improving.

You obviously didn't see his tackle and through ball to Forte on tuesday night then. it's a long time since i've seen one of our midfielders clatter another player without giving away a free kick and then actually do something with the ball. I know it was only 20 seconds of football but the lad is improving.

Agreed. I can't see many players messing with Gobern at this level and yet he's still just 20 years.

He could be a good enforcer for Lallana over the next year or so.

Listen, don't get me wrong - he may well be improving (I'd be even more disappointed if he wasn't), however I don't see enough in his game to indicate that he'll make the step up to NPC level (unlike most of our other midfielders). He is probably not too far from being on a par with Hammond TBF but I don't see him being with us all the way through to the Prem - do you?

remind me how old he is again? That you've written off any chance of him ever improving?

You make a good point - he might improve enough to be useful, however my feeling is he will not be good enough to improve in the NPC. If we field anyone of his ability in that league we will be found out (like we were so many times when we played sub-standard youth during Lowe's tenure). Can't afford to be sentimental about this - the club intends moving forward at a pace and that means always improving the overall level of competency across the squad. If he was good enough to do that he would be displacing Schneiderlin for example.

Always pleased when its Oscar coming on, as he is a very competent, and increasingly combative player, and does nothing stupid. The moaners on here who know so much about football really should go and get a job in football then come on here and pontificate about a nipper who is doing alright. The lad is only 20, he is tall and gangly and has just really come out of his awkward growing age which does not help some lads. Just because he has not exploded onto the scene like Oxo or Theo in their teens, does not make him a crap player who will not make it above our current level.

were you there on Tuesday?

He seems to get bigger each game as well! Showed excellent first touch, quick feet, got into the speed of the game etc - would not imagined that Hammond or Chaplow coming off the bench would have done any better at all.

Not saying he will be great, just as I wouldn't right off a player after brief subs appearance, but looks very promising as potential first team player.

Adkins was talking about him after his frist couple of weeks here so has seen something.

Only turned 20 a few weeks ago - very young for CM in this league

Absolutely. What's most incouraging about Gobern is his ability to tackle despite not being the biggest physically and then doing something creative.

He's probably a player who would actually benefit from us staying down one more season, but if (when, please when) we go up we can always loan him out to a League One club if he isn't quite up to NPC level at that point.

Absolutely. What's most incouraging about Gobern is his ability to tackle despite not being the biggest physically and then doing something creative.

He's probably a player who would actually benefit from us staying down one more season, but if (when, please when) we go up we can always loan him out to a League One club if he isn't quite up to NPC level at that point.

possibly bigger than all our other CMs?

edit - no, Hammond is biggest but Gobbern bigger than Chaplow. Not sure stats right as we were saying on Tuesday that he looks bigger!

Edited by NickG

to disagree with you all, he's a shocking player, not good enough for league one, falls over ALL the time, like bambi on ice and can't pass, shockingly bad.

Are you judging him on this year's performances or previous years. Either way take another look.

I'm judging him by everytime I've seen him play the last two home games are when people are starting to think he looks 'good', because he has come on when a side is 3-0 up or what 3-1 up? he was playing against two of the poorest teams in the league when we were in control and comfortable, it doesn't take a good footballer to look okay in these situations , I will go with my shocking views of him, he's an awful footballer.

I'm judging him by everytime I've seen him play the last two home games are when people are starting to think he looks 'good', because he has come on when a side is 3-0 up or what 3-1 up? he was playing against two of the poorest teams in the league when we were in control and comfortable, it doesn't take a good footballer to look okay in these situations , I will go with my shocking views of him, he's an awful footballer.

away okay, so because the opposition were poor that means Gobern is ****? Understood, understood.

So we should probably drop Barnard pretty sharpish? He played well against yeovil but as they're so sh*t i

It is usually best to judge a player after they have had a good run in the team. He was a bit lightweight a few seasons ago but now looks much better now

aye,

wenger says that you dont know how a young player truely is going to turn out until they're 23, goberns got time yet and is getting better, good luck to him.

Yes. Gobbern was excellent, albeit brief appearance. Strong, quick feet, tidy passing, good tackles etc. You must have been impressed.

And another completely inept appearance today. ******* 3-1 up...only been on the pitch 5 minutes...and the twerp gets himself sent off!!! What a top player he really is.

And another completely inept appearance today. ******* 3-1 up...only been on the pitch 5 minutes...and the twerp gets himself sent off!!! What a top player he really is.

Oh please. Were you there? Have you just watched his 12 minutes on the pitch? It doesn't get much more knee-jerk than that. Red card certainly sounded harsh to me for his only foul, and yes, perhaps it was silly and his inexperience showed. But no one can judge him for it so soon after the incident.

Oh please. Were you there? Have you just watched his 12 minutes on the pitch? It doesn't get much more knee-jerk than that. Red card certainly sounded harsh to me for his only foul, and yes, perhaps it was silly and his inexperience showed. But no one can judge him for it so soon after the incident.

Damn right I can judge him. And believe me if Bompey had come back into the game and drawn or won because we went to 10 men, a lot more would be slamming him. It was a stupid challenge that was completely unnecessary given Saints position and the type of decision from a player out of his depth. IMO of course.