Oscar Gobern

niceandfriendly

Gobern more than demonstrated today, by coming on and being sent off within 10 mins in what was our most important game of the season, that he isnt ready for the challenge of this promotion campaign run-in. If it had still be 1-1, he could have cost us big-time.

Should be sent out on loan to get more experience under his belt. Hope he doesnt go the same way as Olly Lancashire.

Damn right I can judge him. And believe me if Bompey had come back into the game and drawn or won because we went to 10 men, a lot more would be slamming him. It was a stupid challenge that was completely unnecessary given Saints position and the type of decision from a player out of his depth. IMO of course.

Nah, good to see a bit of passion. I think that challenge won us the game.

And another completely inept appearance today. ******* 3-1 up...only been on the pitch 5 minutes...and the twerp gets himself sent off!!! What a top player he really is.

Bit harsh mate? I hope it's been said in jest...?

By listening to the commentary he actually came on and made a bit of a difference for us, holding the ball up, getting stuck in etc.

He showed a silly bit of inexperience to get sent off though - he'll learn from that.

Gobern more than demonstrated today, by coming on and being sent off within 10 mins in what was our most important game of the season, that he isnt ready for the challenge of this promotion campaign run-in. If it had still be 1-1, he could have cost us big-time.

Should be sent out on loan to get more experience under his belt. Hope he doesnt go the same way as Olly Lancashire.

IIRC he didnt come on until we were 2-1 up so that has no point and IMO Adkins wouldnt have put him on while we were chasing the game as it sounded like he was used to reinforce the midfield

IIRC he didnt come on until we were 2-1 up so that has no point and IMO Adkins wouldnt have put him on while we were chasing the game as it sounded like he was used to reinforce the midfield

Right, then according to the manager he is of limited value - for reinforcing (did that well by getting a red card...), not changing the game.

Nah, good to see a bit of passion. I think that challenge won us the game.

No - Lamberts skill at freekicks won us the game actually. I agree that it's good to see a bit of passion - but in a controlled manner. I don't want our team to be leg-breaking cloggers...we are, and can be, better than that.

Bit harsh mate? I hope it's been said in jest...?

By listening to the commentary he actually came on and made a bit of a difference for us, holding the ball up, getting stuck in etc.

He showed a silly bit of inexperience to get sent off though - he'll learn from that.

Yes he will. And hopefully quickly, and with us. I hope he becomes the player he should.

Got to agree with Alpine on this one.

Usual daft reaction. If it had been 1-1 he wouldn't have come on. Simply down to inexperience. How does the guy get experience if he doesn't get 10-15 minutes at end of games, especially ones that are dead and buried. I wasn't there but the commentary made it sound rather harsh. The only reason it is a big deal is because Morgan is probably out for rest of season and we have no cover for Hammond/Chaplow. Hence bringing in a loanee makes perfect sense.

To be fair whenever he has come on in the last few games he has looked quite good, and I didnt rate him particularly, but he looks a decent player.

Once again you have fallen into the usual trap of commenting about a specific player who you have not actually seen play.

Aaaahahaha, I knew as soon as the poor lad slipped and got himself sent off that his critics would have a field day on this thread. Lynch him lynch him!!!

No, let's be rational for a minute here. He did dive in, and he was very unlucky that he slipped at just the wrong time, but let's not let that overshadow the fact that he's clearly got a lot of talent and has a big future here, Adkins agrees.

Nonsense IMHO

I was there today and Gobern played well when he came on a sured things up. Daft challenge though, but a good player nevertheless.

Aaaahahaha, I knew as soon as the poor lad slipped and got himself sent off that his critics would have a field day on this thread. Lynch him lynch him!!!

No, let's be rational for a minute here. He did dive in, and he was very unlucky that he slipped at just the wrong time, but let's not let that overshadow the fact that he's clearly got a lot of talent and has a big future here, Adkins agrees.

Totally Agree

Central midfield players need a bit of grit and many of the best see the red card once or twice a season, the lad was unlucky but in many ways i was pleased to see the determination today something i thought he did not have.

patented saintsweb over-reaction there.

Nonsense IMHO

I was there today and Gobern played well when he came on a sured things up. Daft challenge though, but a good player nevertheless.

Agreed, but the card was harsh. He was always going to be in trouble if he didn't get to the ball first, but he stopped, slipped, and only made contact body to body, not with his feet. I was there and that was my 'real time' view. Not seen the replay yet, but honestly don't think it was a red...especially when you consider the gbh that their centre half dished out on AOC.....which was the freekick that Hammond scored from (lol)

Edited by Chin Strain

Wasn't your view of his performance and sending off obscured by the stands, the Alps and several hundred miles though? You really are a prize plum*

*I apologise and take it all back if you were at the game and saw it all, or have had the benefit of 48 action replays and slo-mos at the time of writing

Edited by Chin Strain

OldNick you are a true legend and have such in depth contacts at the club

You post a thread about needing someone in on loan as cover and get fried because we have Gobern as cover on the bench nobody would want to come here.

So you clearly had a word with NA and told him the best tactic would be to send Gobern on and get him sent off asap, leaving Cortese with no choice but to back NA bringing in cover.

Perfect tactics, well done. Good work Oscar.

So Stevie G it is then (or is Owen Hargreaves ready for some game time yet)

not there so will watch highlights to make an opinion one way or another but

it was away from home

prem ref, L1 ref may have seen it different

high profile (for this league ) game

experienced world class international players make mistakes so it is obvious that a inexperienced player in L1 will make mistakes

Which mistakes are you referring to ? I cant think of one player that left us that I regret, especially youngsters.

Gobern will learn from his red card today and will become an important player for us in the coming years.

Youngsters I regret losing are Surman, Best, Bale, Mills, McGoldrick, Bridge, Walcott and .............

I have been nothing but impressed with Gobern every time he has played.

The sending off yesterday was nothing to worry about, he just went for an aerial challenge but got the timing spectacularly wrong and ended up raising his legs for balance which made it look like he was trying something kung-foo style. I'm glad to see a young player so enthusiastic, he will learn from it and have a big part to play this season IMO.

Yesterday - stupid tackle but with no malice - deserved a straight red - no question - let's be honest if that was some other team's player we would be going mental

The more important issue is whether Gobern is up to being a decent Saints player in the future?...and on that the jury is very much still out

Yesterday - stupid tackle but with no malice - deserved a straight red - no question - let's be honest if that was some other team's player we would be going mental

The more important issue is whether Gobern is up to being a decent Saints player in the future?...and on that the jury is very much still out

What's Gobern's contract situation with Saints?

Out of contract at the end of the season I think...

Thought that might be the case, which is why we're so keen to give him game time I guess.This close season will be really important

as we prepare for the NPC and we won't want to keep anyone who might not be efficient in the NPC.