King Alfred pub

rocknrollman no2

I usually have a beer or two in the Alfred,but lately i feel the atmosphere has been going downhill.

Firstly you are not allowed outside anymore with a drink in your hand,so you have to stand squashed inside,thus making the chance of getting served impossible and secondly they have put even more barriers outside,so those who do venture out are now penned in like sheep.

I used to like using this pub,but will now find somewhere else for a pre match pint.

Anyone else feel the same?

Probably the result of typical short-sighted council legislation. Let people mill around outside thus creating a relaxed atmosphere versus penning people in like sheep thus creating a non-relaxed atmosphere. All because 'someone' probably complained once about people standing in the car park (shock horror).

Sigh.

Probably the result of typical short-sighted council legislation. Let people mill around outside thus creating a relaxed atmosphere versus penning people in like sheep thus creating a non-relaxed atmosphere. All because 'someone' probably complained once about people standing in the car park (shock horror).

Sigh.

The barriers are at the insistence of the Old Bill - landlord has been told he has to 'control his outside area'...

I normally support the police but here is a classic example of poor policy.

The correct policy is to allow fans of both teams, including families, to mingle in a convivial atmosphere and to station 1 or 2 coppers in the pub, getting known by the locals who then start to take ownership of their relationship with the Old Bill... The fans will then effectively police themselves and anyone who wants to start trouble in that sort of pub will be discouraged from doing so.

But what do I know...

I usually have a beer or two in the Alfred,but lately i feel the atmosphere has been going downhill.

Firstly you are not allowed outside anymore with a drink in your hand,so you have to stand squashed inside,thus making the chance of getting served impossible and secondly they have put even more barriers outside,so those who do venture out are now penned in like sheep.

I used to like using this pub,but will now find somewhere else for a pre match pint.

Anyone else feel the same?

It's because you're a pikey.

The barriers are at the insistence of the Old Bill - landlord has been told he has to 'control his outside area'...

The correct policy is to allow fans of both teams, including families, to mingle in a convivial atmosphere and to station 1 or 2 coppers in the pub, getting known by the locals who then start to take ownership of their relationship with the Old Bill... The fans will then effectively police themselves and anyone who wants to start trouble in that sort of pub will be discouraged from doing so.

But what do I know...

You know lots about common sense sir.

But what do I know...

Steve far too sensible. I am afraid that it would be far too dangerous for the Police to recognise that 99.9% of most fans who go to the pub go for a quiet drink and burger and that the King Alfred welcomes aways fans who surprisngly just want to do the same as us !!! They would rather video you(without your permission) than chat to a fellow human being. Screening off the car park causes congestion as you say

You can take your drinks outside. The first 2 games of the season were in higher catagory so the police told the pub not to allow anyone outside with a drink and made them close the garden completely. This is obviously as a result of all the problems they've had with passing away fans. Virtually every other game this season (bar Poopey) is not in the same higher catagory and you will be able to drink outside. You may have noticed that all the internal furniture was also removed for these matches but it was back on Saturday. This is all because of idiots starting fights with passing away fans in previous seasons. The new barriers included.

As for the pub being run down. I cant remember a time when it wasnt.

But what do I know...

Which is all well and good in theory... until there's a fight, someone gets glassed/stabbed, and cue the deluge of idiots berating the Police for not separating the fans or anticipating the violence...