Builder...

Crouchie's Lawyer

Just after someone with a bit of building knowledge (preferably a builder) who can giev me a rough idea of costs.

We have a back porch/lobby which is a third height, single brick skinned room with a flat asphelt lined roof. Its starting to leak and gets a lot of condensation.

Im looking at ripping it down to replace it with a pitched roof porch, double bricked and preferably with a small WC. The room is no more than about 5 foot by 6 foot. How much is this likely to cost???

I know it will be very difficult to quote without seeing it, but a rough idea would be appreciated!

Ta

Just after someone with a bit of building knowledge (preferably a builder) who can giev me a rough idea of costs.

We have a back porch/lobby which is a third height, single brick skinned room with a flat asphelt lined roof. Its starting to leak and gets a lot of condensation.

Im looking at ripping it down to replace it with a pitched roof porch, double bricked and preferably with a small WC. The room is no more than about 5 foot by 6 foot. How much is this likely to cost???

I know it will be very difficult to quote without seeing it, but a rough idea would be appreciated!

Ta

£150 a day plus materials.

You moonlight as a builder now then BTF? :D

How long do you think it would take to do something like that though??

Cheers Cabbage, however, I think you know less than me!

Seriously, i would say 1k to 5k, depends how good a job you want, as you are having plumbing that will hike the price up a little.

I dont know nothing thou. xxx

You moonlight as a builder now then BTF? :D

How long do you think it would take to do something like that though??

Cheers Cabbage, however, I think you know less than me!

:D

No but my dad was a builder and my brother is too.

And I do a lot of work in the construction industry.

Mainly marking builders' bums out of 10

For £15 I bet all the tools will be top quality!

To try and build something yourself with no experience is madness. You will be paying someone to knock it down and redo it properly with in a year.

This is my feeling.

It needs to be knocked down due to damp problems. My recent luck would mean I would fork out a few grand sorting it and 6 months down the line, the same thing would happen!

This is my feeling.

It needs to be knocked down due to damp problems. My recent luck would mean I would fork out a few grand sorting it and 6 months down the line, the same thing would happen!

You should get it done professionally, that "bricky" set might be alright for a garden wall or something but for anything structural it's mad. It's a nice idea but would never work, you would either have to knock up all the mortar by hand or pay to rent/buy a mixer and then you would need to learn how to get the correct mix. Either way you would just be better off getting in a professional.

I'm a carpenter and spend most of my time working on extensions and occasionally new builds, the difference between a good bricky and a bad bricky is really noticable, I can only imagine how bad a DIY job would be.

buy the kit. £14.95. its got all the tools. and instruction dvd. if i can manage it, anyone can

the do sell damp coursing at B+Q.

I replaced the roof in our 19th century farmhouse 2 years ago. Hasn't fallen down yet. It's common sense, plus you can always follow the online guide or even go on a week-end course. Tradesmen are great, if you want to wait and then pay for all the time they waste drinking tea and arguing about which way up the plan is.

the do sell damp coursing at B+Q.

I replaced the roof in our 19th century farmhouse 2 years ago. Hasn't fallen down yet. It's common sense, plus you can always follow the online guide or even go on a week-end course. Tradesmen are great, if you want to wait and then pay for all the time they waste drinking tea and arguing about which way up the plan is.

Oh lol

Ta

the damp problem is due to the single brick skin,it is always going to be cold and damp as there is no airspace,inner skin and insulation.you are right to knock it down and start again,built properly with plumbing will cost you in the region of £3k to £5k depending on finish,plumbing and drainage and roof type and windows etc etc.if you want a quote or advice then pm me i have friends in every trade who can take the job on from start to finish or just parts of the job to suit you.