Help: Fishing for beginners

Tac-tics

I am currently looking into getting into fishing.

I have a beachcaster but no line or weights etc

I have limited knowledge and terminology.

any advice on what I need?

I am brainless with it so any advice on knots and tips I will be greatful.

Do you live in southampton, if not try buying Sea Angler or you could google it (sea fishing tips). But if you live in southampton my friend owns Al's Tackle & Bait in woolston, you'd get a lot of help from him as he gets a lot of the best anglers(england boys) in his shop.

Hope This Helps!

PM me if you like ;)

Here's 2 links that may help you:

http://www.worldseafishing.com

http://www.sea-fishing.org

They both have forums which welcome newcomers and will answer virtually any question you may have.

Do you have a reel for the beachcaster, if you do, is the reel loaded with line? Does it says what the casting weight is(most beachcasters is somewhere in the region of 4-8oz). This means the minimum lead weight advisable for casting is 4oz, max is 8oz)

Thread the line through the eye of the hook and pull about 6 inches through.

Go about 4-6 times round the the main line.

Thread the line through the bit at the bottom of the twist and then through the loop created.

Spit on the line and tighten it up (it tightens like a noose).

Cut the line off leaving a bit spare incase it slips.

If you're coarse fishing (which your not) it's best to cut the line close, but with large hooks and large bait it's not that important.

Do yourself a favour and find a fishing shop, they'll set up the rod for you, let you know what gear you'll need without ripping you off, advise you about where and when to fish and if you're honest and say you're on a budget they'll work with you to get the most out of fishing.

Get a decent book on fishing, beachcaster style. Then, head for your local angling shop. If you are local to Southampton, there are loads of angling shops. However, In-Excess, over at West End are doing loads of fishing equipment for a snip of the usual price. they also have branches elsewhere, though I don't know about the stock of other shops. Most of the equipment is NOT crap. Besides, it certainly wouldn't hurt to purchase a few cheaper bits of kit to try with before you get seriously hooked [sorry, I just had to].

http://www.in-excess.com/

Jump on any little boat (saves the effort of beach casting) from June onwards. Drop a line down 20ft wherever you see gulls with three hooks and accompanying simple lures. Draw it up and down a bit. Get mackerel by the basketload within seconds and sell/give them away. Tell the doggies to bugger off when they inadvertently bite your hooks. That's my experience anyway.

Edited by TopGun

I would offer some advice but the only fish I ever caught whilst beachcasting was a Bass who was unfortunate enough to get hooked in the eye as I was reeling in. One thing I would say though, if you cast out and believe you're watching the perfect cast as your weights and lures fly out to sea, just check there's not a metre of broken line hanging from your rod before you start celebrating.

Thanks guys.

My Uncle is heading to weymouth to go bass fiishing on the 3rd apparently someone on here is going to?:s

So ill be heading off with him to have a peek.

I think Dog goes fishing quite a bit??

Boat fishing is IMO a lot better than fishing from the beach. From my experience you get more chance of catching fish, which is what its all about!