3d tv

Colinjb

I have recently purchased a new tele, 46" 3D Samsung thing, and thanks to the prohibitive amount I am giving to Sky every month they have kindly let me have their 3D service at no extra cost.

However, having now watched a few things on it (Egg chasing, a film etc) I have to say, I am not that impressed. Wearing stupid glasses to watch something that gives a reasonable sense of depth but really doesn't offer more above HD. Am I alone in thinking this? I didn't buy the tele just for it thankfully but I do feel that the whole idea of 3D television is just going to be a passing fad.

I have had one for about 6 months now and we have used the glasses for about half a dozen films, that and to show people the wonder of 3d in your living room. It really is impressive for the films that were made for it but not for anything else. Glad I have it as an option but it will still only be a once a month film, if that

Yes the films are impressive, since the 3D ones were made with 3D in mind. Once the streaming services like netflix and lovefilm start to stream HD/3D content maybe it'll be a bit more worthwhile, because at the moment the cost of signing up to Sky World, or the rip off price of 3D blu-ray doesn't make it worth it at all.

Has anyone tried it for gaming? Noticed quite a few of my ps3 titles are 3D, but I've never tried them since I still only had a '2d' tele...

It doesnt count but Ive got House of the dead overkill on ps3, its in 3d but also comes with old school 3d glasses which you wear and change a setting in the game. It definitely adds something.

I've played crysis2 all the away through in 3D and it's epic! Absolutely fantastic game! The huds hang out of the screen and you feel integrated with the suit in the game.

Also played uncharted 3, batman AC, mortal kombat and it does make a nice change than playing in 2D.

The only drawback I have with it is I cannot play for anything longer than an hour in 3D mode without getting fatigued (yet watching avatar in 3d for over 2 hours is fine!) so it definitely gives me a sensory overload.

Has anyone tried it for gaming? Noticed quite a few of my ps3 titles are 3D, but I've never tried them since I still only had a '2d' tele...

Only really tried it on gran turismo 5 and it is very impressive , with the lights off and using the 'in car' viewpoint the London racetrack was unbelievably realistic

I have recently purchased a new tele, 46" 3D Samsung thing, and thanks to the prohibitive amount I am giving to Sky every month they have kindly let me have their 3D service at no extra cost.

However, having now watched a few things on it (Egg chasing, a film etc) I have to say, I am not that impressed. Wearing stupid glasses to watch something that gives a reasonable sense of depth but really doesn't offer more above HD. Am I alone in thinking this? I didn't buy the tele just for it thankfully but I do feel that the whole idea of 3D television is just going to be a passing fad.

No you aren't. Stereoscopic (as that's what it is, *not* 3D) is as old as the hills, just as pants as it was back in the 80s the last time it came around, and involves some massive compromises (about 20% colour loss for a start, not to mention some very odd tilt-shift-like effects when watching from a 3/4 angle like football) for the 'benefit' of pokey-pokey effects. The very newest of the emperor's new clothes.

3D was *actually* the industry's latest 'fight back' against piracy - on the basis that if they shot everything in 3D, pirated copies would essentially be useless/unviewable. It failed spectacularly. 3D will be dead within 24 months.

The glasses that came with my TV are still in the box.