Dongle or PCI ?

stthrobber

I'm fairly PC literate but for many years my router has been hard wired to my PC in my little computer room which is upstairs and was originally on the old house wall, but we had an extension built and it's now sort of in the middle. I always had very patchy coverage on my network downstairs.

I've managed to get an upgrade from Virgin Media and they moved the hub downstairs to a more central location and the coverage is great now downstairs, but not as good where it was upstairs which is now via a Netgear WNDA3200 dongle.

I was wondering if I bought a wireless PCI network card running at 300mbps whether the speed would be both faster and more reliable?

Also worth having a play with changing the frequency of the router. There are 11 or so but they overlap. Often routers are set to either end so picking one one the middle could reduce interference from other routers nearby. Best thing, if you have a smart phone, is to download a wifi analyzer app and check out exactly what other routers are nearby and what frequencies they are using.

If they've given you one of those Superhubs, the wireless built into that is simply horrific. I gave up with it in the end and bought my own Wireless router and set the 'superhub' in bridged mode (so it just runs as a cable modem, nothing else). You'd probably get a decent improvement by doing the same!

If they've given you one of those Superhubs, the wireless built into that is simply horrific. I gave up with it in the end and bought my own Wireless router and set the 'superhub' in bridged mode (so it just runs as a cable modem, nothing else). You'd probably get a decent improvement by doing the same!

That sounds a bit above my current capabilities. I have a Cisco Linksys Cable router which is now spare. Are you saying that you dispensed with the Netgear cable modem/router that they supplied or is that still in use as part of your network?

That sounds a bit above my current capabilities. I have a Cisco Linksys Cable router which is now spare. Are you saying that you dispensed with the Netgear cable modem/router that they supplied or is that still in use as part of your network?

When I joined virgin they included the Superhub which was the wireless router and modem all in one box. I still have it on my network, but it operates in bridge mode so is just my modem - rather than providing any wireless or routing services.

I bought an additional Netgear wireless N access point which gives me really good coverage around the house.

I know Virgin used to offer a wireless router and a modem as 2 separate devices, I'm not sure if that's what you have.

I have the combined router/modem as supplied by them. I'm pleased overall with the coverage downstairs and moderately happy to slightly dubious about the dongle connection upstairs.

Ah ok. I don't think the range on their device is particularly good if I'm honest, and I experienced lots of wireless drop outs with mine, which was my main bug bear. (not sure if you've found that?). It might work better for you! but I'm a bit of a speed freak so I have my main access point upstairs and a repeater downstairs which knocks out my dead spots and gives me full signal up to the top of the garden.

Right, so I guess I need to do the reverse. Wonder if either of my old routers could do the job? I've got a DIR655 by Dlink and an E4200 by Cisco. Can you tell me what the repeater is that you have used?

Edited by stthrobber

Remember that a repeater cuts your bandwidth in half. If you can run an ethernet cable upstairs from the router, you can use an AP instead and get a better service upstairs. Just finished doing mine this morning, and now have separate strong wireless networks upstairs & downstairs.

I did the same thing. It really is a god awful, hateful bit of kit.

Edited by Saint_Jonny

I did the same thing. It really is a god awful, hateful bit of kit.

So how do you run the super hub as a modem only? Is there a setting on the admin page? Given that the superhub has moved I would guess you connect the Virgin media via a network cable to your own router ?

So how do you run the super hub as a modem only? Is there a setting on the admin page? Given that the superhub has moved I would guess you connect the Virgin media via a network cable to your own router ?

I followed this guide mate, nice and easy :) http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=412750&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable