Car Auctions

Hatch

I reckon you either go for 2 year old ex-fleet cars which have been serviced properly or drop a few hundred quid on an old banger in which case you limit your losses. Apart from trade-ins where do you thing the motor trade get their supplies?

Cars that go through BCA auctions are generally fleet (up to 500 per day) or lemons that traders dont want on their forecourts. The profit margins are now much tighter (not too far off retail price) than they used to be and its not just a case of turning up, buying a car and off you go, there are hidden charges etc.

Dog did you get my pm?

Have bought loads of cars at auction, and never bought a lemon yet.

Stick to ex lease, company, fleet, NHS or similar and you should be fine. It will have been serviced properly and have history.

Avoid anything from the trade as its usually sh!te they want rid of.

Register with bca to see catalogues. They'll tell you if its lease stuff and give service info and photos. If you can travel a bit as I've got much better deals up north.

If you go sort s shortlist and a budget for each. If you're paying part ex or trade price your quids in.

I went to Blackbushe a few months ago and did not think the prices were that special, infact some cars were getting way over book price !!!

I have found some cars have very high mileage ie 150K, as stated sign up with BCA go a few times with Glass's guide check the prices and get a feel for the place.

Its quite fast moving and you don't get much time to check the car ie head gasket, service history etc etc

Agreed. Blackbushe is overpriced. Get a mate to drive you up north, bell vue is great, buy something and drive it home.

The alternative is to buy the same car off a dealer at a premium. Cutting out the middle man is a no brainier.

The time thing isn't an issue. Ask someone to flip the bonnet of something you like. Easy to check for head gasket mayo, low fluids in brakes or clutch, twist the steering wheel and check for play. If your really worried stand over it when first started and listen for knocks and look for smoke.

Also look for colour imbalances and uneven gaps between panels, both suggest accident damage.

My dads golden rules (he was in the trade) were to avoid a car that the traders were ignoring and only bid at the last minute. Always worked for me.