19/09/12: Happy iOS 6 Day

Essruu

Remind me never to get in his cab, although perhaps the poor location software will allow Essru to take some more creative routes in order to make enough money to buy more iSh1t. I mean I am obviously too poor to purchase Apple products which is why I dislike them but you must need some tricks to afford all the shiny things when essentially you do a menial job.

There's no need for personal abuse. I was highlighting how excellent I've found the satnav / turn by turn capabilities of Maps from the testing I've done of it. The mechanics of it are actually better than the TomTom app I've used. Like I said, the place searching and POI searching is currently pants; but if you want to use Maps as a satnav replacement and can use the post-code or drop a pin in the location, it is superb. The mapping will obviously have to be improved for many locations and the POI database needs sorting, but once that's up to scratch it'll be good, as the app itself is actually really good.

FYI, I rarely use a satnav (and never in Southampton or on the majority of my routes) and if anything I lose myself money by always preferring shorter/cheaper routes for my customers (although I give them the option if there is a big difference between shorter & cheaper or faster & further/more expensive).

Also, you can try to be offensive by calling what I do 'menial' if you want, but I will just smirk as you have no idea how much (more) money I make from my small fleet of cars compared to when I was an Insurance Broker and Insurance Claims Business Owner. The fact that I have far less (virtually zero) stress, have completely flexible working hours and can work around my life instead of living around my work like before are added bonuses. I wouldn't change my 'menial' business for anything.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?39590-Galaxy-S3&p=1451779#post1451779

Sure, there are 'people' who 'realise' Android is the way forward: There are those who can't quite afford an iPhone so pretend Android is miles better, then those that don't really know what a smartphone is, let alone what Apple or Android means or what the differences are, but who wanted a new phone and went to Phones 4 U for 'advice'.

Your argument of 'popularity = best' is stupid... but maybe you think Fords are better than Maseratis too.

God its only a phone but its turning in to insults now.I have always found Nokia maps better has you can use the gps and don't need the internet or sim card in the phone to use it so will wait for Nokia Lumia 920 or htcs new Windows phones.paying top dollar does not mean its a great phone normally its because its the market leader.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I've now noted that you use a Galaxy Note, so I can no longer take you seriously. Let's not take this thread off-topic though.

The Note is by no means a perfect device, its too heavy. Also the screen disappoints as a pentile oled display rather than the Super Amoled Plus of the S2, but the larger real estate makes it perfect for watching Sky Go in the kitchen while I am making a curry paste. See, how I am able to see where it has flaws...

The Note is by no means a perfect device, its too heavy. Also the screen disappoints as a pentile oled display rather than the Super Amoled Plus of the S2, but the larger real estate makes it perfect for watching Sky Go in the kitchen while I am making a curry paste. See, how I am able to see where it has flaws...

It's the old New Labour policy, never admit your flaws and hope that people eventually drop it.

There's no need for personal abuse. I was highlighting how excellent I've found the satnav / turn by turn capabilities of Maps from the testing I've done of it.

Maybe your viewpoint would be more respected if it wasn't so spectacularly myopic? You come across as such an extreme advocate of the product that it seems that if the ghost of Steve Jobs did a big steaming dump and stuck a flag with 'iPhone 6' written in it, you'd lap it up (metaphorically speaking of course. I hope).

Your unerring worship at the church of Apple just smacks of fanboyism, and as a result any legitimate positive points you make are just dismissed as such.

Try this: can you name 3 things, however trivial or major, that you *dont* like about iPhone 5/iOS 6? And/or can you name 3 things, however trivial or major, that you think Android does better? Don't worry, it doesn't make you a bad person, no one is going to send a copy of this thread to Cupertino. And if you show even a tiny smidgen of perspective, what you say just might get taken more seriously?

Incidentally Ive owned/own about a dozen iPods/iPhones/iPads and precisely zero Android devices before you start thinking I'm an Apple-hater.

No.

Then allow me.

Apple iPhone 5 os6

Positives:

- Build Quality

- File Sharing Capability

- Operating System Ease of Use

Negatives:

- Premium Pricing

- Requires propriatory hardware

- Operating system restricts customisation

Android ICS

Positives:

- Customisation ability (Widgets, Ring Tones etc)

- Available for far more friendly prices.

- Offers everything most mobile phone users need/want.

Negatives:

- Not as immediately user friendly

- Varying manufacturers can restrict device compatibility with apps

- Some device manufacturers are better then others (Samsung and ZTE for example)

All devices have their positives and negatives. Apple do excellent software and phones but they are not the be all and end all.

Personally speaking though, I would never buy an Apple product after their stretegy of aggresive litigation against competitors over concepts and ideas which they themselves stole.

Edited by Colinjb

Personally speaking though, I would never buy an Apple product after their stretegy of aggresive litigation against competitors over concepts and ideas which they themselves stole.

Isn't it funny how Microsoft/Apple has now become Apple/Samsung... the heroic rebellion is now the evil empire.

Went to do my travelling expense form today.

Opened up the work iPhone, typed in postcode one, went to postcode two..... Enter.

The destinations which would have flawlessly worked on Google maps came through wrong, the distance was wrong. I could no longer trust my work phone.

Turned to my personal S3, opened Google maps.... worked flawlessly. All hand recorded mileages and checked ones matched.

How many other people will begin to doubt they can trust their previously flawless Apple devices, all because they became (more) arrogant?

Edited by Colinjb

Just tried to update to iOS6 and it crashed. It then directed me to recover via itunes. When I did so the recover failed and now I can't recover it or reset it. Just sticks on the apple logo screen. I've tired doing the whole home button, power button resets, but nothing. :(

Just tried to update to iOS6 and it crashed. It then directed me to recover via itunes. When I did so the recover failed and now I can't recover it or reset it. Just sticks on the apple logo screen. I've tired doing the whole home button, power button resets, but nothing. :(

I had the same problem installing IOS5 on my iPhone 3. It got stuck in an endless reboot loop. I finally managed to catch it with a combination power off sequence. It's still on the shelf waiting for me to be brave enough to try to reset it with ITunes.

Put it into DFU mode. With the iPhone on, or at whatever screen you're stu k on: Press and hold both the Power button and the Home button at the same time > keep them both held down and keep them held down until the phone powers down and then comes back on again > when the Apple logo comes back, let go of the Power button, but keep holding the Home button down > Let go only when the 'Connect to iTunes' icon is displayed > then connect to iTunes, which will detect the phone in DFU mode and prompt you to restore.

Went to do my travelling expense form today.

Opened up the work iPhone, typed in postcode one, went to postcode two..... Enter.

The destinations which would have flawlessly worked on Google maps came through wrong, the distance was wrong. I could no longer trust my work phone.

Turned to my personal S3, opened Google maps.... worked flawlessly. All hand recorded mileages and checked ones matched.

How many other people will begin to doubt they can trust their previously flawless Apple devices, all because they became (more) arrogant?

Google Maps still works on Safari if you're desperate to use it.

Just updated my iPad to iOS6 - no real major changes for the good. Safari seems to have been given a little boost but the real stinker is the maps. I use it for work quite a bit and it truly is terrible. No doubt it will get better over the years but I just can't believe a company that like to do everything so well would release a steaming pile of turd like that.

Thank god for Google maps on my S3.

Put it into DFU mode. With the iPhone on, or at whatever screen you're stu k on: Press and hold both the Power button and the Home button at the same time > keep them both held down and keep them held down until the phone powers down and then comes back on again > when the Apple logo comes back, let go of the Power button, but keep holding the Home button down > Let go only when the 'Connect to iTunes' icon is displayed > then connect to iTunes, which will detect the phone in DFU mode and prompt you to restore.

Cheers for the info Essruu but I'd already tried this, after connecting it to itunes, it goes through the process of updating the software for about 5 minutes, then comes up with an error message. Annoying thing now (other than it not working) is that as the sim is smaller I can't even just stick the sim in one of my old handsets! Booooooo.

I was going to upgrade in a couple of weeks anyway so will have to get a new handsort sorted out sooner rather than later.

Cheers for the info Essruu but I'd already tried this, after connecting it to itunes, it goes through the process of updating the software for about 5 minutes, then comes up with an error message. Annoying thing now (other than it not working) is that as the sim is smaller I can't even just stick the sim in one of my old handsets! Booooooo.

I was going to upgrade in a couple of weeks anyway so will have to get a new handsort sorted out sooner rather than later.

Try a different computer and or a different USB cable.

Cheers Hypo, I did think about putting the latest version of itunes on to my laptop and seeing if that makes a difference as it's currently on an old pc which is itself having some issues with recent versions of itunes. I'm back in the uk at the weekend, I'll give it a go then.

Cheers Hypo, I did think about putting the latest version of itunes on to my laptop and seeing if that makes a difference as it's currently on an old pc which is itself having some issues with recent versions of itunes. I'm back in the uk at the weekend, I'll give it a go then.

This is your problem!

The update needs the latest version of iTunes, so that's probably all it is.

I have had the different USB lead/ port thing before - it's to do with the USB timings, and something as simple as a lead being pulled out of your pc/mac or not inserted fully initially can cause it. Always worth removing all ISB leads and restarting sometimes, but hopefully your issue is just an outdated version of iTunes.

This is your problem!

I have had the different USB lead/ port thing before - it's to do with the USB timings, and something as simple as a lead being pulled out of your pc/mac or not inserted fully initially can cause it. Always worth removing all ISB leads and restarting sometimes, but hopefully your issue is just an outdated version of iTunes.

Fingers crossed, but the problem with the phone occured with the iOS6 update so had no connection with itunes/my pc, although I totally agree that I may now need the latest version on the computer to try & resolve it. Cheers to you & Hypo, will give it a go at the weekend

This is your problem!

Gents, thank you! Problem solved. My itunes updates have not worked on my pc for ages, each time I’ve tried it’s come up with error messages so I’ve just left it. Tonight I downloaded the latest version of itunes on to a laptop and tried to recover the phone. It didn’t work the first couple of times but I kept trying & it was third time lucky and it updated. I then connected the phone to my old pc hoping to sync it to my last saved profile but naturally that didn’t work and I got a message come up saying my phone with the new IS06 wasn’t compatible with the old itunes. As the itunes updates weren’t working instead I downloaded a fresh latest version of itunes & thankfully that worked, with it retaining all my music, setting & profile. I was then able to connect the phone I put my old profile back on it.

Took a while but please I’ve retained all my numbers, apps, photos, etc. Thank you both!

Have any iPhone 4S users had issues with battery drain since upgrading to iOS6?

I have not changed any settings, but since the weekend when I upgraded the battery life has gone to s**t. Just googled the subject and there are pages and pages of similar comments but no fix!!!

Might go back to my Nokia 6310.....

Have any iPhone 4S users had issues with battery drain since upgrading to iOS6?

I have not changed any settings, but since the weekend when I upgraded the battery life has gone to s**t. Just googled the subject and there are pages and pages of similar comments but no fix!!!

Might go back to my Nokia 6310.....

No,mine's been fine.

Try this though:

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services> then set every toggle to NO, except the top one 'Cell Network Search'