19/09/12: Happy iOS 6 Day

Essruu

If previous major updates are anything to go by, it'll be available from 6pm.

I can't wait. This will probably be the one that means I won't bother jailbreaking anymore.

Does it have quickreply for whatsapp and the messaging app like bitesms? does it allow you to control your music using the volume controls?

Looks like a very nice update - know I get accused of being a hopeless fanboy but I'm really impressed with the OS and the fact that these ugrades are free is fantastic

They are not free. We just paid for them ages ago while we were getting greased over a barrel for our tech :)

If previous major updates are anything to go by, it'll be available from 6pm.

I can't wait. This will probably be the one that means I won't bother jailbreaking anymore.

All signs appear to be that if apple did not insist on incrementing the version by 1 every time it should really be called iOS 5.1 or maybe 5.5. Its got so few new features that are forward facing and those that are are not necessarily improvements on iOS5, for example the new Apple maps knows a lot fewer places of interest that google maps.

All signs appear to be that if apple did not insist on incrementing the version by 1 every time it should really be called iOS 5.1 or maybe 5.5. Its got so few new features that are forward facing and those that are are not necessarily improvements on iOS5, for example the new Apple maps knows a lot fewer places of interest that google maps.

Just been playing with the Maps. The maps look very smart, like a classy printed road atlas.

Just been playing with the Maps. The maps look very smart, like a classy printed road atlas.

The opinion appears to be its style over substance in that it looks nice but does not have as much knowledge of points of interests. So for example of google maps if you ask for restaurants nearby a lot more will come up that on apple maps. Thing is apple have bought it the roads and the route planning but in terms of the depth of geographical information on businesses etc there is little available to buy that matches google.

The opinion appears to be its style over substance in that it looks nice but does not have as much knowledge of points of interests. So for example of google maps if you ask for restaurants nearby a lot more will come up that on apple maps. Thing is apple have bought it the roads and the route planning but in terms of the depth of geographical information on businesses etc there is little available to buy that matches google.

Oh aye, but that'll be because Google has already harvested a ton of information. My personal view is that information submitted by the public should be in the public domain, irrespective of which service they used to upload it. Google, Apple, and all the businesses siphoning off content seems wasteful, imo.

The Maps app is still in its infancy. The data, POIs, addresses etc will all be being added to and improved: so don't think that is it.

I've been intensively testing the turn by turn directions / satnav function today. I previously had TomTom installed... I can tell you that the way turn by turn works, the directional display is far better than the TomTom app (which in itself was excellent.)

The different look and fonts of Maps compared to the previous Google Maps app took a while for me to get used to with the building layout: but it actually makes more sense once you start using it more as you get a basic visual of the buildings you're passing instead of having no landmarks or buildings on the Google app.

I'd say if you will be looking for a satnav replacement then stick with it. If you use the app just to find places, POIs etc, then it's 'ok' at the moment but not always accurate and not very detailed - but it is bound to get better. If you jump back to Google Maps when they bring a new app out and disregard the new Apple Maps app forever more, then you'll potentially be overlooking what will (eventually) be a major improvement.

Ok, it's in it's infancy.... but seriously, how the f**k did they miss out Stratford on Avon!? Try it, it's labelled as 'Shottery.' (The very tiny part of the place where Anne Hathaway's cottage is.)

Had an appointment there this morning, decided to try the new Maps App on my work iPhone 4..... was astonished.

An American firm totally cocking up the name of one of the few places you would expect them to know, the home of Shakespeare.

Edited by Colinjb

The app is in its infancy so why release it from the nursery so soon? To my mind it appears it has been rushed out 'ready or not' on orders from 'on high' and also I would guess that development of it must have started a lot later than other features in iOS 6.

The thing that amazes me is what on earth are they doing to the Tom-tom data as I am sure they have stratford-upon-avon in their database so what processing are apple doing such that it goes missing?

The Stratford-on-Avon as Shottery stuff is a joke. Not great publicity.

Gotta say, I do love the cock waving that goes on in these threads. It's like being back in the 80s watching 11 year olds fight it out over which computer was better.

Agreed, it's not great that there are lots of places and POIs that it either doesn't find or locates incorrectly. However, those are all issues that can be overcome and improved upon as they're just database driven. It's pretty cr@p at locating places based on names etc.

What I have just found, however, is how brilliant the mechanics of the app itself are. I am currently at Gatwick Airport, having just dropped two SFC WAGs here. Before setting off, I thought I'd test the satnav capabilities of Maps. If you search 'Gatwick Airport' it finds nothing; If you search 'Gatwick Airport London' it finds some business not very close to the airport! That is a database issue, but shocking nonetheless.

You could google search your destination address to find the postcode (which Maps finds no problem). Instead I just dropped a pin on the map on top of Gatwick and tapped 'Directions To Here'. The usual 3 route options were offered - which would be the average person's normal routes - but not my preferred route through Pulborough. I exited the app and forgot about it until later in the journey when I tapped into Maps as I passed through Pulborough; The app rerouted me very quickly, the animation is very smooth (particularly when you make turns and go round roundabouts, unlike TomTom) and positioned me bang on when passing junctions (unlike TomTom which always seems to lag so you physically pass a turning before it is displayed on screen.)

I was impressed and then just pressed the lock button as I didn't need to follow it. Next came probably the best feature I have EVER seen on ANY app and brilliantly executed:-

When the screen is locked and blank: as long as you left the route running and didn't 'End' it before pressing the lock button, when you reach 0.5miles from your next turn, exit or roundabout etc., the lock screen displays the map with your turn instructions, counts down the distance and stays on and moving despite still being in lockscreen mode (it still has the unlock slider 'ghosted' at the bottom, in case you want to unlock and open the app fully). This stays lit and displayed for about 5-10secs after you've followed the correct instruction, then the screen goes blank again... until it wakes up 0.5miles from your next turning. It still reroutes if you go wrong (I go a different way in off the A23, so it did this a couple of times for me.)

I can see this being brilliant for those muppets who usually go the whole journey with their satnav on, even when they've got 100+miles until their motorway exit for example (why?!) It saves battery as it only needs to be displayed when needed. When in a more built up area, it wakes about 3-5 secs before a roundabout or turning, so as not to confuse things too early.

All I can do is reiterate what I said earlier: if you want a satnav replacement, this is going to be it. If you know your destination postcode and don't have to rely on the current unreliable POIs or names, then this Maps app is simply brilliant. It is a bind to manually locate the destination on the map or do a search to find the postcode before you locate the destination, but if you're off on a journey to somewhere you don't know, it's worth finding the postcode as the mechanics of the app itself are simply brilliant.

I'm sure (sure, hopeful!) that whatever needs to be done to update and correct places and POIs will be done. In the meantime, don't write this app off just because you can 't be bothered to find/enter the post-code of your destination. Try it: it's awesome.

Actually the map situation could get interesting. Most 'experts' saying google will release a map app soon as they need the advertising and the data the phones provide on position but then again the longer the maps on the iphone/ipad is seen to be worse than that on android then it could swing some prospective buyers towards android? I would not be surprised of google don't hurry out their map app to profit from the bad press the apple app is getting. Also I full expect another samsung advert very soon ripping the **** out of the failings of the current apple mapping app compared to google maps on android.

No YouTube on iPad either. iPhone app is already out. Hopefully iPad app will follow soon.

Great idea, Apple :(

Let's be honest though, the youtube app on iOS was an utter pile of ****e. I'm glad they got rid of it, the google made one functions well.

And on my map problems earlier. I now found my town, but it is several miles east of where it is labelled on the map(which is just countryside where it supposedly is).

Let's be honest though, the youtube app on iOS was an utter pile of ****e. I'm glad they got rid of it, the google made one functions well.

And on my map problems earlier. I now found my town, but it is several miles east of where it is labelled on the map(which is just countryside where it supposedly is).

Yes, but until Google gets their arse in gear and releases an iPad version, no YouTube on the iPad.

this is all down to Steve jobs going thermo nuclear on google. google own the number one video service & the number one map service, having this control means google were in a direct position to damage apple products through bad software.

navigation has been doing sat nav for ages, plus u can use satellite images gor the landscape and it even has a google streetview when u reach ur destination.

Remind me never to get in his cab, although perhaps the poor location software will allow Essru to take some more creative routes in order to make enough money to buy more iSh1t. I mean I am obviously too poor to purchase Apple products which is why I dislike them but you must need some tricks to afford all the shiny things when essentially you do a menial job.