Les Mis Film

miserableoldgit

• 2 weeks later...

Actually this is the adaptation of the play. Exactly the same songs / scenes etc and put together by Cameron Mackintosh. If you want an adaptation of the book see the 1998 Liam Neeson film with Clare Danes, which has no singing.

I could not conceivably be more excited to see this. Got tickets booked to see it when I get back to NY on 31st, and have had the songs in my head all week.

I am a little worried about Crowe's part in this, and also reckon I'm gonna come out thinking "Why couldn't they have just sung it properly??" Found Jackman's Who Am I, one of the most climactic moments in the show, to be a little underwhelming from the youtube clip...

[video=youtube_share;xx7K42uyrts]

Actually this is the adaptation of the play. Exactly the same songs / scenes etc and put together by Cameron Mackintosh. If you want an adaptation of the book see the 1998 Liam Neeson film with Clare Danes, which has no singing.

I could not conceivably be more excited to see this. Got tickets booked to see it when I get back to NY on 31st, and have had the songs in my head all week.

I am a little worried about Crowe's part in this, and also reckon I'm gonna come out thinking "Why couldn't they have just sung it properly??" Found Jackman's Who Am I, one of the most climactic moments in the show, to be a little underwhelming from the youtube clip...

[video=youtube_share;xx7K42uyrts]

I understand what you are saying about the singing but film and stage are completely different. I loved the film of "Warhorse" but love the stage production even more. In "Les Mis" the actors were acting and actually singing at the same time, as opposed to miming to pre-recorded tracks. I first saw Hugh Jackman in "Oklahoma" at The National Theatre some years ago. He is/was a very good musical theatre performer but this is not musical theatre - it is cinema. Having listened to the cast albums of "Les Mis" hundreds of times I know that it is going to be different, but different in a good way, I hope!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw "Les Mis" this afternoon. Absolutely stupendous! Apart from Russell Crowe and Anna Seyfriend, the singing is excellent. Anne Hathaways "I Dreamed a Dream" and Eddie Redmaynes "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" particularly outstanding. If you are a fan of the show you will be relieved like me that the film has kept to the spirt of the show and expanded it. As many people (men AND women) "blowing their noses" at the end as at the end of the stage version "Warhorse!" One of the very best British films for many years IMHO.

Saw this review of Les Mis online, made me smile this morning;

Went to the movies with the wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never heard of, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away free tickets because the lines were out the door. Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. then Catwoman starts crying and singing and it's all very moving. The only problem... was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along. it was very distracting. so Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot, and in the end everyone dies. Four stars.

....and this

Funny!

Saw this review of Les Mis online, made me smile this morning;

Went to the movies with the wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never heard of, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away free tickets because the lines were out the door. Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. then Catwoman starts crying and singing and it's all very moving. The only problem... was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along. it was very distracting. so Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot, and in the end everyone dies. Four stars.

....and this

Funny!

Has bearsy started posting reviews on other forums? What a slag!

• 2 weeks later...