jailbroken Apple TV

Thedelldays

XBMC hub is a good website to have a nosey on. Specifically the add-ons 1channel, Icefilms, Letmewatchthis and Sportsdevil. There is also Navi-X.

Youtube search "XBMC 1channel" to get an idea.

The first three add ons are film and TV shows, the last one is sport. Navi-x is both. You can also get iplayer, 4od etc...

You can get XBMC for windows and the add-ons work on that if you want to try before you go out and buy a Pi or AppleTV.

I have one. Rather than paying stupid money on eBay for a Jailbroken one, you can sometimes come across standard ATV2s - it's easy enough to jailbreak it yourself and stick aTV Flash on it. I'm a bit out of the loop on which firmware is still JBable, so double-check.

I can send you a copy of the .dmg if it comes to it.

With aTV Flash, you can stream pretty much any file. I download .avi .mpeg4 and .mkv files to either my MacBook or MacMini and the (aTV) Media app allows you to search your other network-connected machines and select any of these files to play. I've played with XBMC and Plex, but don't feel it adds a great deal of versatility that you can't get from the standard (aTV) Media app.

With aTV Flash, you also get Couch Surfer (a web browser). Whilst it's capable enough, you're better off just mirroring your iPad to Apple TV.

The biggest life/media changer for you will be sending music/photos/video from your iPhone, iPad or MacBook to your tv via AirPlay. As you've got other iOS devices, an Apple TV is a no brainer really, whether Jailbroken or not*

* if you just want to buy a standard ATV 3, you can (depending on your MacBook age/firmware) just screen-mirror to the ATV. Alternatively, instead of mirroring, Beamer (http://beamer-app.com/) is worth looking at.

Can you stream prem footie at good quality for free?

Yes you can stream football, sometimes the quality is good (like all footy streaming, sometimes it isn't) and yes it is free.

As the owner of both an Apple TV and Raspberry Pi - would say the difference in price isn't worth it. Raspbmc on the Pi has airplay functionality as well and you can get the bits needed for c£60 all in.

Delldays has highlighted that the Apple TV I paid £99 last year will now fetch £200-£300 on eBay as it is Jailbroken and the Jailbreak for the new Apple TV is some way off. My Apple TV will be going on eBay to be replaced by another Pi (for those interested - if you don't know which bits to get separately, Maplin have a starter kit for £75 and I can provide links to help with the set up).

Ess - you mentioned above that the Apple IOS does all that XBMC does. Can you stream football films and TV for free like you can with XBMC? I like a tinker, so would want to have a go at setting it up if it is possible...

well, just checked and my macbook pro (apparently) will support airplay.

it is an early 2011 version 8.1...which seems to support airplay to apple tv..

not sure whether to spend around £200 for an jailbroken apple tv 2...or get the far cheaper apple tv 3 and use airplay from my macbook...also hoping a jail break will be out for it in the future..?

well, just checked and my macbook pro (apparently) will support airplay.

it is an early 2011 version 8.1...which seems to support airplay to apple tv..

not sure whether to spend around £200 for an jailbroken apple tv 2...or get the far cheaper apple tv 3 and use airplay from my macbook...also hoping a jail break will be out for it in the future..?

That's what I would do, plus keep a lookout on eBay for someone selling an ATV2 unjailbroken and unaware! You do see them on there from time to time with people upgrading to ATV3 for the 1080P.

Perhaps I am missing something, but what is the point of Apple TV?

I don't see a need for it at home, at all, but maybe I'm missing the point!?

For music, I have a Squeeze Box duet which gets music wirelessly from my NAS, the base unit is connected via optical to my Bose home cinema system (which plays awesome sound for films and music). For films, I have Virgin Media on demand, plus I have hundreds of BluRays and DVDs (I like to collect and keep them to watch again) to choose from.

So - I'm either failing to see where Apple TV fits in or, I'm just not target audience?

u4u8a4uh.jpg

15793_10152389478670173_445823744_n.jpg

i know which i'd rather have next to my tv :)

It depends if it's 1987 or 2013.

With a MacMini connected (but hidden) to my tv as well as a Jailbroken Apple TV2, things 'just work' instantly.

I am pleased for you that you have a hobby though. Have you actually had many hours of media consumption with it, compared to the hours of tinkering?

My Apple TV can do all of that in one... plus a whole lot more. If you've already got that set up and are happy with it, then you don't 'need' an Apple TV.

But can it stream football, films and tv as terrypward asked?

Serious question as if it can I may invest. Otherwise I'll get the slightly less pretty raspberry thingy.

It can through XBMC - as you can install that on a Jailbroken Apple TV as well as a Pi. I was just being facetious.

The Apple TV is a good bit of kit at £99 which is what I paid a year ago. However if you are now looking at £200+ for a Jailbroken Apple TV2, bear in mind there are cheaper alternatives. Also bear in mind the resolution of the ATV2 is only 720p.

Edited by terrypward

But can it stream football, films and tv as terrypward asked?

Serious question as if it can I may invest. Otherwise I'll get the slightly less pretty raspberry thingy.

Yes, if you use XBMC.

I don't bother, as my MacMini is also connected to my tv, so I get my streams through that.

I have no idea what this raspberry thing is

Where do you plug it in. How does it work. How do you get xbmc on it

If/when on xbmc, how do you navigate around it.

Is it wifi etc

Can you link a good one from eBay to show me

Cheers

Edited by Thedelldays

Yes, if you use XBMC.

I don't bother, as my MacMini is also connected to my tv, so I get my streams through that.

I have no mac products and had never heard of apple tv or raspberry til this thread. I love the sound of them both but apart from the brand name and a pretty box, what do I get for a 200 apple box that I can't get from a 50 raspberry box? If it helps I'm interested in functionality over style.

You get an Apple product if you buy an Apple TV that is already Jailbroken. This means it talks to your other Apple devices. XBMC is one of the Jailbroken apps you can get on the Apple TV. The pros of an Apple TV pre-Jailbroken: You do not have as much to do to set it up, it looks better, wifi is built in and has the better quality build. Cons: Price and 720p resolutions.

The Raspberry Pi goes straight into XBMC (although it runs the operating system from an SD card, so you can pop a Linux operating system card in and use it as a PC). Pros: Cheap, 1080p, Cons: a bit of setting up is involved normally, it's only as pretty as you make it and you need a dongle for wi-fi.

I would disagree with Baj insofar as needing Linux knowledge to set up a Raspberry Pi just for Media Streaming. Although setting up Raspbmc is easy, you can buy pre-loaded SD cards with Raspbmc already installed from http://www.raspbmc.com/accessories/ However, this is only if you don't want to go through the easy installer.

I will provide some links to the device and instructions below.

What you need to set it up:

Raspberry Pi

SD Card

Micro USB Power Supply (same as a Blackberry or Android Phone)

HDMI Lead (connects to TV through HDMI, although you can use standard definition red white and yellow leads instead)

Ethernet lead to connect to your router

USB mouse and Keyboard (which you can possibly do away with at a later point for day to day use)

Recommended accessories:

Wifi Dongle

Case

Powered USB Hub

You can get the Pi itself for and a bunch of said accessories from https://export.farnell.com/jsp/raspi/orderPad.jsp?&country=GB ... or for ease of getting it all together this has all of the above bar a case and ethernet lead: http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberry-piandreg-board-and-starter-kit-652805.

For Cases: http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?criteria=pi+case or http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=raspberry+pi+case&_sacat=0&_from=R40

So you can judge how easy/difficult - In general terms, to set up yourself from a PC/MAC:

1 - Put your SD card in the computer

2 - Download and run the installer from http://www.raspbmc.com/download/ (just select the "I Accept the Licence Agreement" unless you want to tinker with the basic set up).

3 - Plug in all the leads and (importantly) the ethernet lead and turn it all on. A self-installer does the rest on the screen.

4 - When XBMC loads, if you want to use Wifi on the device you can download a Wifi Manager by going to System > Add-ons > Get More > XBMC.org Add-ons > Program Add-Ons > Network Manager > Install. Once installed, you can access Network Manager through the Programs > Add-ons menu - it allows you to set up wifi with an interface like you'd expect on any device, rather than needing to type in the SSID and password etc.

5 - Install the add-ons that you want. A good guide is here: http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/11/26/quick-start-guide-to-watch-free-tv-with-xbmc/

There are linked guides in the above for watching TV, Films and Sports.

I would also recommend getting your mitts on Sportsdevil from MaxMusterman's Repo as this directly links to WIZIWIG, FirstRow Sports, ADTHE and a couple of other well known sports streaming sites.

Once set up, some newer TVs will allow you to use your television remote to control the interface (My 2010 Samsung does through Anynet+ and my 2007 LG through Simplink upstairs) meaning you can do away with the mouse and keyboard. This works by sending the commands through the HDMI lead (in the same way you can control a Blu Ray player with your TV remote if set up correctly to do so).

The alternative is to use your mouse and/or keyboard - or buy a media remote, which also does the job. Examples: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-and-play-USB-PC-Computer-Remote-Control-Media-Center-Controller-18-meter-/280825953122?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item416287fb62 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Window-Media-Center-MCE-PC-Remote-Mice-Control-/220839268649?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item336b0bd129

I hope this helps.

cheers

I have a small bit of knowledge of unix systems...but not a great deal

basically, all I will want it for is to have XBMC on my telly....sportsdevil, icefilms etc etc and nothing else

I notice on ebay, that you can get one of these things with XBMC with it...for example (although a tad expensive) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-XBMC-Pre-Installed-Media-Centre-Kit-Wi-FI-Wireless-KB-Dongle-/390516314593?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item5aec9611e1

Right sort of thing, wrong sort of price - no need to get ripped off.

I kitted out 4 of my family/in-laws etc with them for Christmas at about £60 a pop. If you want me to put together a shopping list for you I can. You could even post me the SD card if you like and I will install the lost on there ready to go (no charge of course). Just let me know if you have any of the following already as you may as well use them for this if you have them spare:

Usb mouse

Usb keyboard

Ethernet lead

SD card

wi-fi dongle (if you want to use wi-fi... although not sure on compatibility - may be better to get one that definitely works with the pi as they are only a few quid)

HDMI lead

Micro USB Power supply

Or if you wanted to get the Maplin kit, just get that, an ethernet lead and a case.

Cheers terrypward. I'll get some kit ordered in and if you don't mind will PM you if/when I hit a snag.

Yeah will do same of you don't mind. Will pop into maplin in a few days

I'm sure there are loads of guides on you tube

Like said, only want it for xbmc and all the stuff with that

It depends if it's 1987 or 2013.

With a MacMini connected (but hidden) to my tv as well as a Jailbroken Apple TV2, things 'just work' instantly.

I am pleased for you that you have a hobby though. Have you actually had many hours of media consumption with it, compared to the hours of tinkering?

only took me about 20-30 hrs to build and 'tinkering', since then its done at least 20 hours installing W7, updates & transferring data, and maybe 15 hrs of media consumption.

It's a replica of an HTPC i built last summer, which has more than served its purpose, cost just over £200 for parts.

apart from winding up apple fan boys with my clearly cooler device, i'd go with the pi, the box sets in maplin look pretty good, and u can put the thing in anything you want if ur feeling creative

raspberry-pi-03-lego-case-logo-brick-wired-design.png

Yeah thanks. Was thinking of visiting maplin and getting an SD card from eBay with xbmc

Is guess that with that SD card in, it will load xbmc straight away.

This has "Galaxy S3" written all over it.

Why, when you already have a MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad you are even contemplating a pi instead of an ATV, is astonishing.